Saturday, May 28, 2016

You May Have Been Wondering...

Where the heck have I been? Things have been pretty quiet here on Dogwood Lane but I have a spectacular excuse for not communicating with you. Romantic Villages of Alpine Europe! Starting with:
I've kept our plans about this trip to myself for more than a year and now I can tell you all about it. Chris and I have never been to Europe so this was a BIG deal for us and we had the best time traveling through five European Alpine countries in 20 days. Don't worry I won't give you a day by day description but I am going to share some of the highlights. I want to preserve the memories for myself and let you see a little travelogue as well.
The first four days of our trip we stayed here in Cernobbio, Italy on the shores of Lake Como.
A charming old world hotel with all the modern touches and wonderful lake views. I was instantly drawn into the setting right outside our hotel front door.

Strolling along the waterfront it was just as I had imagined it. The adventure was just beginning as we boarded a water taxi for a ride down the lake to the town of Como itself. These water taxis run all day criss crossing the lake and drop you off to which ever village you wish.
On the way to Como I waved to George and Amal for you when we passed their gorgeous villa.
This massive stainless steel sculpture greets visitors in the harbor as you arrive at Como. Quite a contrast to the old world vibe of the town.
Como definitely caters to an upscale clientele and it was fun to see how the other half lives. Very stylish.
A quitlter can find hand work anywhere. Isn't this coat great?
A hidden courtyard
A peek down a side street
There's plenty more to see and I'll be telling you all about it. I hope you'll forgive me for not answering your comments over the past month. As you can tell I've been a little out of touch!

Until next time,

13 comments:

  1. My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Metropole Suisse a few years ago - in a corner room, overlooking Lake Como. The color of the season was purple and all of the locals were wearing a splash of that color in all shades. You are right - the fabrics, knits and linens that we saw in the boutiques were exquisite. We will return later this year and can't wait to see what color will be popular. We are looking forward to taking the ferry around the lake and stopping at the various villages. And, I plan to climb the steps to Brunate, to see the lighthouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Italians are very stylish it made me feel quite frumpy in comparison. Of course Como is quite lux as well. My sense is that acid green is the in color right now let me know what you think when you get back. Hope you have a wonderful return trip.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, what a treat!! We've been to Italy but didn't get to Lake Como. I'll enjoy seeing it through your eyes. I find blogging is a quick, easy and inexpensive way to 'scrapbook!' Looking forward to more pictures! Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my hope to use the blog as a scrap book I just hope not to bore all of you too much! Don't worry I won't show you all 1,000 pictures!

      Delete
  3. Yes, I wondered what was happening with you---but, I thought it was gardening! Silly me! What a wonderful trip! Did you go with a group? Looking forward to all the pictures. I would love to go to Italy sometime. I'm a second generation Italian born in Calif. My Nonna, Nono, Aunts, Uncles were all from Lucca, Italy. I've never been. I so look forward to all the wonderful photos. Beautiful pictures you have posted today----Everything looks so clean and well cared for there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did pretty well keeping this secret didn't I? Believe it or not we managed to get the garden planted too!We did go with a group where we knew one other couple and made friends with a bunch of new people quickly. Our guide was great and the tour company took care of everything which was best for us since we are not experienced overseas travelers. You're right, everywhere we went was amazingly clean and the people were so friendly. I loved Italy would love to go back if I could ever save enough.

      Delete
  4. What a perfect dream of a vacation Patrica! You kept your secret well. The photo's you've shown of Lake Como are wonderful - just like I've always imagined it would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait until you see some of the other spots we visited - amazing!

      Delete
  5. You are amazing! I don't think I could have kept such and exciting secret!!!

    It looks like a wonderful trip and I am so happy you and your hubby were able to enjoy such a lovely vacation. I look forward to seeing what else you share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming right up! We have been planning this for sooo long and there a lot of photos to weed through.

      Delete
  6. What a remarkable trip! Congratulations for making it happen! That one picture of the houses on the hillside really speaks to me. I've been wanting to make a house quilt forever, and it really inspires me to make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this trip was so long in the planning and I have a lot of pictures. It's amazing to see scenes from my imagination come to life!

      Delete
  7. Awesome blog, i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing!
    Thank for your very good article...!
    ตารางบอล

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.