Monday, April 4, 2016

Look What Followed Me Home

I've been here
doing this.
So not a lot of sewing/quilting has been happening in the past two weeks. Spring break always means I'm heading south for Grammy time.
Still I did manage to get into a little bit of trouble before I left. Remember the Auburn Quilt Show? Well, you know there are vendors at quilt shows, in particular sewing machine vendors and that can spell trouble with a capital T! Just look what kind of happy trouble I got into!
Here she is my new obsession! A Janome 500e embroidery only machine. The moment I saw her I was in love. My poor 350e didn't stand a chance. Especially when the dealer offered me a $1,100 show trade-in deal. I ask you, would you have left her languishing on the show floor?
My 350e had two hoops - 4"x4" and 7"x5". This baby comes with four hoops! The largest is 7.9"x11", effectively an 8"x10" sewing field. If you have hoop envy then this is for you. I've been machine embroidering for several years now. I started out with a used Janome 900 sewing machine with a 4"x4" hoop only. Loved that machine as it was my sewing machine and embroidery machine. When it finally died and could not be repaired I purchased my sewing machine and wished for an embroidery only machine. When I retired almost five years ago I treated myself and bought the Janome 350e embroidery machine. It was an affordable option for me and I loved it. It worked perfectly but of course over time I wanted to go bigger! 5"x7" started to feel cramped. Now I'm spreading my wings!
Let's try one of the built-in designs. Love the color screen and on board editing. Starting out slow with a 4"x4" hoop.
As you can see there are some SERIOUS tension issues with this stitch out. Don't panic yet. Read the manual again (when in doubt read the instructions) and try another design.
I switched the bobbin case to another that was provided, moved my thread to a thread stand behind the machine as I usually do, used another layer of stabilizer and presto!
This second stitch out couldn't be better. In fact when I took it out of the hoop it was awesome!
The true test is always what does it look like once it's unhooped? Pretty great if you ask me.
I'd rather be doing this.
But this girl and I are in for some good times too. What shall I name her? Any ideas?

PS - I have no affiliation with Janome I just like their product and use it. Enough said.

Until next time,

16 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Congratulations on you new Janome Embroidery machine! It sure looks nice! I would name her "Jenny". Love the stitch outs. Are these practice or for a project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie believe me I'm excited! These are practice to get to know my new machine but that house may turn into a project it came out so nice.

      Delete
  2. Oh, in all the excitement I forgot to say your granddaughter is adorable! in her cute shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a beauty all right I miss them so much and wish they or I were closer.

      Delete
  3. Grandchildren are #1! But a new shiny sewing machine is pretty wonderful too :) Glad you're enjoying both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those kids just melt my heart and I wish I could be with them all the time. The new machine is compensation!

      Delete
  4. Sunny b/c she makes you smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Charlene she does make me smile. This baby is turning out to be easy to learn andI'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

      Delete
  5. I thought those babies followed you home! Congratualtions on the new machine! Why not just call her Jan, short for Janome? Kind of takes you back to the Brady Bunch days, too. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wish those babies had followed me home!! I like your Brady Bunch idea I always thought that Jan was overlooked.

      Delete
  6. I'd actually like to be at the beach! I'm near DC and it's cold today!!
    The new machine is so exciting... names... Emmy for embroidery?
    Thanks for coming by my blog for a visit... going to look around here for a minute!
    LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to be back at the beach too but one can't have everything I guess. A new machine and a room with a view are really pretty nice. Emmy is a cute a idea for a name too.

      Delete
  7. It is always fun to spend time with the grandkids and then.....come home and quilt or embroider! I have never had an embroidery machine but your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandkids are the best and embroidery is just one more fiber obsession which we all know only too well!

      Delete
  8. Cute babies, glad you had a great time and home safe. I would name her Betty, she is the best yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty is so bouncing and cute and reminds me of my MIL whose name was Betty and was the best yet! She was the dearest lady and would have loved all this whiz bang sewing stuff.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.