Monday, March 28, 2016

My OMG Finish For March

 It's another long standing UFO finish for me and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. This one was a fun one to piece and then I got bogged down contemplating the quilting so it sat in that dreaded UFO pile for the longest time. You know how it is. You tell yourself, "I'll get to that next" but somehow that day just never comes. 
I decided to use large zigzag over all the long seams and suddenly this became a breeze to quilt and fun to do.
 Hopefully you can see how this looks in this photo. I can highly recommend this type of quilting for your more modern or utility quilts. Fast, fun and decorative!
This is the stitch setting on my Janome Memory Craft 6600 (love this machine). Play around with those fancy stitches that you paid for when you bought whichever wonder machine. Almost any sewing machine does a zigzag and you can lengthen and widen that to see what happens. I have some 12"x12" quilt sandwiches made up to test stitches out and then I use them as ironing pads too. They're a mess but they get the job done.
The finished quilt is a nice lap size made of about 40 2.5" strips from my stash and some orange squares for variety. It was sewn in the jelly roll race style. Let the strips fall where they may!
Pieced backing also from stash. I love a pieced backing and almost all my quilts use up large stash fabric pieces as long as they relate somehow to the fabrics in the quilt. 
This was going to be a donation quilt but as soon as my husband saw it he claimed it for his own. He really liked the colors in this one. I thought it was a little loud but not to him apparently.
Thanks to Heidi at Red Letter Quilts for the kick in the butt to get another 'almost quilt' finished and off the shelf. Linking to the OMG March link up.
It's also Design Wall Monday so you'll find me checking out everyone's design walls at Judy's.

Until next time,

27 comments:

  1. Yay! Another UFO completed, and a happy husband as well! The colors will be so nice to pull out each autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today is a day of ideas! Maybe just maybe if I use this technique I could quilt my own quilts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all about easy and as fast as possible sioI can move on to the next project.

      Delete
  3. Fun idea - I could actually do with my new little machine! : )
    My husband has almost given up getting a quilt - I'm going to try to sneak in finishing the one I started in 2013 for him now...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This really is easy to do I don't know why I waited so long to finish it.

      Delete
  4. Fun idea - I could actually do with my new little machine! : )
    My husband has almost given up getting a quilt - I'm going to try to sneak in finishing the one I started in 2013 for him now...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The this quilt turned out great and thanks for the zigzag suggestion. It's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those zigzags are actually pretty easy to do and they look good too!

      Delete
  6. I keep forgetting to use the different designs, thanks for the reminder.
    great finish. Maybe I'll make one for my DH for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love playing around with those fancy stitches on my machine, so pretty and sometimes useful.

      Delete
  7. Nice finish, I use my fancy stitches once in awhile, should use them more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those stitches delicious? I love to use them with variegated thread such a fun look.

      Delete
  8. This is a very nice quilt. I can see why your hubby liked it. My husband confiscated a jelly roll race quilt that I made using Christmas fabrics. Congratulations on another one DONE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels great to be whittling down that UFO pile I can tell ya!

      Delete
  9. a wonderful colour assortment. I am looking forward to using some jelly roll strips I traded with my guild. pinks, purples and greys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds so nice. I'm working on another brown and green and I'm kind of tired of those colors by now. Purple and pink sound so fun!

      Delete
  10. Nice! That's Awesome that Chris grabbed it or himself!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only quilt I ever made just for him was years ago - bad wife I know.

      Delete
  11. Congrats on the finish! It is a great feeling to get a quilt off the UFO list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about that Kate! Here's to finishes.

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on your finish. It's a very smart looking quilt. I'll have to play around with the stitches on my machine and see how things turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point in our quilting lives what do we have to lose? It's only fabric right?

      Delete
  13. I really get motivated by the OMG challenge. You did a great job on your quilting. I've got several finished tops in my closet waiting for either the backing but more likely waiting for me to decide how to quilt it. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is about as large as I want to quilt myself. Wrestling a quilt under the needle is just not that fun to me. On the other hand finished is better than perfect so go for it and let us know how it turns out!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.