Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Let's Take a Tour

 A tour around my house that is. I was looking around the place the other day and thinking that I haven't shared with you many of the pieces of art that I have around the place.
There's always a quilt on display in the living room. I made this on some time ago using a batik panel of tropical fish. The quilting by machine quilter Judy Hooper is really special and has to be seen close up to be appreciated. 
I bumped the contrast a lot to try to give you a look at the underwater sea creatures Judy put into the quilting. Here there's an anchor on the ocean floor along with sea shells and sea stars.
More sea stars and sea weed. There's even a sea chest filled with treasure and a mermaid peeking out.
 Everything we have hanging on the walls or displayed has a special meaning to us. Either it was made or given to us by friends or was purchased on a trip so they all provoke memories. 
This has been hanging in our home for more than 45 years and evokes memories of when my sons were so little.
Speaking of home - here's a fired clay tile we commissioned from an artist depicting our first home. We were so proud of that little place and happily raised our family there.
Our home is in Georgetown now and so we have this lovely photograph from photographer Stacy Pedri to remind us of home.
Both Chris and I have always had a love of nature and walking in the deep woods. This small watercolor hung on our wall for many, many years before we made the dream of moving to the woods a reality. I'm a big believer in making you dreams manifest.
As you can see nature is a big theme in the art around here. Chris bought this giclee print for me for my 60th birthday. I love it's rendering of oak leaves and acorns so reminiscent of the huge oaks on our property.
An artist friend, Alice Shaw, gave us this small water color of a pretty happy bear and his catch.
An oil painting in the California Impressionist style, a gift from our daughter-in-laws father, himself a gifted artist. He hasn't given us one of his own works yet, he thinks his style is too modern for us!
I love this painting of a windy laundry day by local artist Jesse Johnson. It hangs in our guest bedroom along with this sweet print purchased on a trip to Sisters, Oregon and the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show. My husband picked it out to commemorate the trip.

 Just a few of the treasures (to us at least) we have on view around the house. You can tell a lot about people by what they choose to keep around them don't you think? It's a pretty eclectic mix and wouldn't appeal to everyone I'm sure.

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Your art pieces do share a lot about you Patrica. It's wonderful how they are tied in with memories too. I love that! My tastes run to things having to do with nature too. And I also love folk art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home decor is so personal that I feel lke I may have exposed just a bit about myself here. Some things just speak to us, right?

      Delete
  2. Beautiful paintings, make great memories. Thanks for sharing such beautiful treasures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me take a look around myself. Sometimes we take our surroundings for granted.

      Delete
  3. As I sit here, looking around, I realize that most of the things I have hanging have memories or conjure up sentimental feelings. Like yours, things we have collected are an eclectic mix, meshed by years of love and sentiment! Your tropical fish quilt is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved making that quilt. It just came to me when I saw that panel on line and went together lickety split!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the fun tour. All your pieces of art are beautiful and sentimental. :) PS: I'm a believer in making your dreams come true too! We only live once...so ya gotta go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I seem to dream about things and then somehow we work to make a dream come true. Right now we're dreaming about the next steps in our life and wondering where they will take us.

      Delete
  5. I felt like I was at an art gallery! Your collection is wonderful, and I loved hearing about the details of each painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun for me to remember some of the stories behind these things too. How's the cabinet project going?

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.