Wednesday, March 9, 2016

If You Don't Like The Weather

 There's a saying in the Sierras - "If you don't like the weather in the mountains just wait a minute." I have a few pictures for you to illustrate. Yesterday morning was so lovely I took a walk around the garden admiring all the new growth and budding trees. My magnolia tree putting on a show.
Perfection!
The plum tree along the fence is blooming too.
The air was so sweet. Don't you just love early spring when everything is waking up? True, it is a little early but we'll keep our fingers crossed that no frost spoils these blooms and maybe we'll get a good crop after our long four year drought.
Oh look, the rhubarb is poking up! Yummy rhubarb pie is in my future.
Rosemary attracts lots of bees enjoying the warm day. 
My goodness, even my tiny peach tree is making every effort to put on a show! Isn't that so cute? It always does my heart good to walk around the garden and get back in touch with everything that's going on.
That was yesterday.
And then this happened!
I woke up this morning to this! Completely unexpected low snow. I don't imagine it will stay around, in fact it's already turning to cold rain but it's enough to ruin all the beautiful magnolia blooms which are so fragile and who knows the fate of the fruit blossoms. Thank goodness I'm not trying to make a living at this gardening thing.
Like I said, if you don't like the weather just a minute or even if you do.

Until next time,

12 comments:

  1. Drastic change, hope it doesn't kill anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I think the fruit blossoms are a goner we'll just ahve to wait and see.

      Delete
  2. Oh no! The plants must get confused? I can't imagine, hope everything recovers. This weather is so darn strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why we can't have nice things says Mom! Now we are into a week straight of cold rain so I doubt the fruit blossoms will recover. Oh well we certainly need the rain and snow more than I need plums and peaches I guess.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! I thought you were going to show us that a thunder and lightning storm rolled in Patrica. It really is a good thing you don't need to make a living off your crops. I bet you can still count on that rhubarb pie though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the rhubarb it's pretty hardy on the other hand I almost sure the fruit is a total loss this year. We do need that snow and rain though after more than four years of killing drought so I'll just grin and bear it.

      Delete
  4. It has been crazy weather for sure! The Rhubarb may survive, don't know about the peach blossoms though----This is sad! If you had only known maybe some tarps could have saved the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This did catch us by surprise but that's the way things go. I can't stand store bought peaches haven't had a decent one in years (sigh). You're right about the rhubarb it will be fine, such an old fashion taste and my whole family loves it.

      Delete
  5. I love the Sierras and you are so right about the weather there. I got caught in a snowstorm in early May while hiking. Your garden looks beautiful. Crossing my fingers that everything will be all right still.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiking around here can be tricky - never go alone! My husband is a member of the Search and Rescue Team and call outs are frequent at all times of the year. I doubt we'll see any fruit this year from our trees but we are grateful for the snow all the same.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.