Sunday, February 21, 2016

Keeping Out the Winter Chill


Way back in October I shared with you our adventures picking, processing and putting up elderberries in these two posts - Adventures in Jelly and Elderberry Cordial
The elderberry jelly is so delicious I can't even describe the flavor to you and it's all the more marvelous because there is so little of it to go around. It's kind of like a very precious jewel rare and wonderful. But what about that cordial you may ask?
It's taken months and months of VERY patient waiting on my part but finally we have been able to try out this sweet elixir from the druids or whomever. The berries have been sitting in their vodka lemon bath for months in the pantry waiting for the exactly right moment to be strained and bottled (or until I just couldn't wait to try it whichever came first). The addition of some simple syrup was all it needed to take it from ick to wow! Too little sugar and you have cough medicine which would be OK and is a recipe some are going for but I was looking for an after dinner drink so a little more sugar and ahhhh. 
Perfect for sipping on a chill evening in front of the fire with a lap quilt and a good book. I pronounce this a success. 

 Linking up to Farm Girl Friday









Until next time,

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think they need a lot of help to make them delicious but I have to agree - yum in the end!

      Delete
  2. Elderberries! Does that bring back childhood memories. My mom grew up on a farm and when we were little we would go to grandpa's house and pick elderberries along the roadway between his farm and the cow pastures. They are so tiny and you had to pick so many to get a pie. That's what my mom would make...elderberry pie. I haven't had it for years. Makes me want to run up North again and see if I can find any of those plants on the roadside where we found them years ago. Thanks for bringing back such great memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just couldn't sacrifice the elderberries we had to a pie since it takes so many and they were so hard to come by but a pie would be amazing! What a wonderful childhood memory. Maybe next year we can pick enough for both jelly and pie.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like it was all a success for you. I haven't tried either but like what you have experience is what I had heard. I was thinking about getting some plants to put out int the yard. Your positive comments make me want it even more. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did hunt down two elderberry bushes and we planted them in my son's food forest. SInce he lives down the road it will be a little easier to pick them there than going on a hike I can tell ya!

      Delete
  4. I've never tried elderberries but this sounds wonderful! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if they grow where you are but it would be worth hunting them down or if you see some jelly in a specialty store give it a try. Good luck in your new job and remember to change out of your PJs once in a while ;-)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.