Monday, February 15, 2016

An Eventful Week But the Show is Over

 As promised I'm posting the last of our virtual tour of the Folsom Quilt and Fiber Guild Show and then I'll tell you a bit about my less than stellar week. Looking at these quilts again really does cheer me up so I hope they brighten your day too.

How's this for a day brightener? All I can say is wow! I love the happy colors of these Dresden plate flowers and applique butterflies. It lifts the spirits just to look at it.
Gaze at this beauty for a moment and then realize that you are gazing at a miniature quilt! That's right every one of those pieces are less than an inch, just amazing.
Another miniature prize winner. I am in awe of the precision and all around talent on display here. Notice that the prize ribbon is almost larger than the quilt itself.
Here's a marvelous art quilt where the vegetables just seemed to jump off the plate. The thread work was the star of this piece and truly made it come alive. The shadow on the right hand side was all done with thread.
This small quilt was 3-D with the basket and vegetables spilling off the background. Lively and good enough to eat.
That's all I have for you from the quilt show I certainly hope you enjoyed the tour. 

Now on to my hectic and at times discouraging week. Look away now if you don't want to hear the details. I won't blame you.
Both Chris and I had multiple doctor appointments this week and that takes up a lot of time because we live so far from ordinary civilization. An hour and a half drive each way just to get to appointments takes a lot out of an ordinary day let me tell ya. Chris had a follow up a dermatology visit which resulted in an all clear which was very good news indeed and I had an unfortunate run in with an orthopedist who gave me a cortisone injection in my shoulder which went horribly wrong! Some of you may recall that more than a year ago I hurt my right shoulder resulting in a rotator cuff injury which has plagued me ever since. Physical therapy has helped a lot and surgery is out of the question. Only time will take care of this problem. I had a cortisone injection once before in the summer with no ill effects but this time, Oh My Goodness! I experienced something called a steroid flare which is right up there with one of the most painful things I have ever gone through. The worst part for me was the unexpectedness of the whole thing. I had no idea what was happening and no idea how long it would last. It lasted three days and was no picnic! Then on Friday it was back to the doctor's office again for a scheduled biopsy for Chris (a separate issue). Fun and games all around. Chris is in bed recovering and I am one of the walking wounded. Happy anniversary to us. At least we both know that this too shall pass. I told you to look away.
I wrote this post and deleted it three times. For the most part this blog is my happy place and I do my very best to keep it upbeat and positive. I always hesitate to share less than fabulous news on the blog because it can come across as whining or attention seeking. On the other hand if all we ever read is happy, happy, joy, joy we get the impression that we are the only ones in the universe going through hard things and we may not be handling it very well. After all no one else ever says anything about their troubles. Just know my intention is keep it real here. We are fine, I'm not whining (well maybe a little) and both of us are on the mend. 

What do you think? Should we keep it light all the time or occasionally tell the whole truth?


Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, such trials! I do hope you both shall recover quickly and that you can get on with life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry we have pretty much recovered and are getting on with things. Amazing what a difference a week can make. I've started with my more intense shoulder rehab so... onward and upward!

      Delete
  2. Oh dear! Happy Anniversary anyway. And my gosh, what a week. I hear you. I like to keep my blog upbeat too. But sometimes to tell some of the not so wonderful parts of our life, make us more real as people. I am so sorry for your difficult time with the cortisone shot. And I assume you husband had a bit of a skin cancer removed? I do hope all is well with that.
    Let's hope next week will be better.
    Now, about those quilts. Wow...wow, wow! The miniature thing is not for me, but I sure do admire those that have the patience for it. And the veggies...what stunning work. Just beautiful. Makes me feel like I am a remedial quilter, at best.
    Big hug to you.
    XO KRIS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are both right as rain this week and marvel at the difference a week can make. So grateful for overall good health which allows us to bounce back. Those quilts are off the chain and that's why I like to go to shows it gives me something to aspire to I guess..

      Delete
  3. Happy belated anniversary !
    I chose to read the real stuff 'cause I want to know more about my internet buddies ... isn't that why we write a BLOG and not just maintain a website ? We blog to talk ! I have a mix of the good with the bad at my place and anyone who chooses can turn away.
    Don't worry about spilling some of the bad ... it's not whining, it's life !
    hope your shoulder gets better soon ... been there, had the surgery !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I too had surgery on my left shoulder 20 years ago and so want to avoid that this time if at all possible. The rehab will be a drag either way as you know. I do have total use of the left arm now after a lot of work so I'm hoping I can get results without the surgery for my right arm - we'll see. We both do feel so much better this week and are back to our normal routine thank goodness - I have quilting to do!

      Delete
  4. i think people read because they want to know about your life not just the happy stuff.love those small quilts but mine would be in the UFO pile to stay , i like big blocks so they go faster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those miniature quilts were so amazing I can't even tell you but not for me either! I'd lose my cotton pickin mind.

      Delete
  5. What a week. So sorry to hear about your negative reaction to the cortisone. I enjoy reading your blog and have never thought of if it's less than upbeat. I assume you share whatever strikes your fancy. Love seeing all the quilts at the show. Happy belated Anniversary too. Hope you both feel better. Some sunshine will help. Raining here for the last few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie we both do feel so much better and you're right I do pretty much write about what ever strikes my fabcy at the time warts and all. There was a peek of sun the entire time we felt bad and as soon as we felt better the rain came back - WHAT! Glad for the rain but still.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.