Friday, February 19, 2016

A Miniature Orchard

All the time Chris and I were recovering from our medical stuff last week the weather was taunting us with perfect, sunny days. The temps were in the high 60s and we were wishing we felt well enough to be outside taking advantage of the sunshine to get some garden chores done.
 You can bet that the minute both of us felt up to it we headed outdoors shovels and pruners in hand. Well, Chris had the shovel and I had the pruners for pointing!
Fabulous garden soil! It's taken years of work to turn forest dirt into viable garden and I love this stuff!
Because of the four year drought here in California we lost our three mature peach trees, they just up and died. The only fruit trees we have left are two plums and they're hanging on by a leaf!

We decided to replace the dead trees with true dwarf trees. Just look at this little cutie! Our reasoning is that we really don't need all the much fruit coming ripe at once that a full size tree provides and dwarf trees will require a lot less water per tree.
Right now is bare root season and a perfect time to plant. Hopefully we'll get more winter rain (Please Lord) and they'll be well set in for the growing season when it warms up for real.
Two little peach trees into the ground.
Two nectarines in pots We'll see which does better as the summer progresses.
The garden is all ready for spring to arrive. I have straw bales set aside for my experiment in straw bale gardening this growing season but it's not time to start conditioning those yet.
These ladies got a chance to do some digging as well. They love to scratch around in the sunshine and are always VERY curious about whatever we're doing in their domain. We finished planting the trees just in time before another storm rolled in bringing sleet and fierce winds which blew down trees in the surrounding forest. We were tucked in on the couch watching a 


 marathon by that time and River was in her favorite winter spot.







Linking up to Farm Girl Friday
 
Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. What a great idea. Where did you find the dwarf trees? I hope that you get some rain. Oh and do you name your chickens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local nursery had true dwarf fruit trees bare root for sale but they were not cheap, about $20/each I think. I do name my hens and have featured them and their various personalities in previous pots - Miss Cookie, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Big Blue, Mrs. Gold and her chicks and Silent Bob the wonder rooster to name a few. Thanks for stopping by Dogwood Lane Farm.

      Delete
  2. beautiful, thank you for this look around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you came by thanks for stopping by Dogwood Lane Farm.

      Delete
  3. I too am itching to get in the garden. still too cold here so I bought a flower tower so I can dream LOL
    that River sure knows the best spots! what a cutie. hope you get the rain you need for a successful garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cold has driven us back inside for now but I have plans for the spring! Dogs and cats can be counted on to find the most comfortable spot in the house right?

      Delete
  4. TOO BAD ABOUT LOSING YOUR FRUIT TREES. I HOPE THE NEW DWARF ONES GROW WELL FOR YOU. I PLANTED A PEACH TREE AND AN APPLE TREE LAST SUMMER AND HOPE THEY DO WELL. I NEED TO GET SOME BRANCHES CUT OFF SURROUNDING TREES SO I GET MORE SUN. WE HAVE SUCH A HARD TIME GROWING ANYTHING HERE, IT'S EITHER SHADY OR SANDY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we live in the forest shade is a problem for us as well so finding a good growing spot is key. We 're keeping our fingers crossed that our little orchard gets a good start and I hope your trees do well too!

      Delete
  5. I'm jealous of your wood stove! Some day, some day...ha ha I can't wait to get some fruit trees myself. We planted some berry bushes last week, so that was exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all congratulations on the birth of your beautiful baby and your successful VBAC. I was a home birth midwife assistant for many years so I know what triumph you have experienced, well done!Our wood stove is our main source of heat in the winter and wood heat is so warming as you can tell the dogs love it too. Hope you get a few berries this season we're excited about our berries this year as it will be our first full season, I can hardly wait. Check out my post about our berry patch here http://dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com/2015/02/non-stop-week.html . Thanks for stopping by Dogwood Lane

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.