Monday, January 11, 2016
What I Should Have Done
Moving along with my One Monthly Goal of machine embroidery quilting this bed runner I laid out the templates on the corner and end to determine the placement of the designs. I marked the center line of the border on the fabric with a chalk marker and lined up the template center lines with that mark. Then I hooped up that corner and started stitching. I'll bet you can see the problem from this picture but I didn't see it until the corners were stitched - all four of them!
That's right, all but one of the corners came out too high for the rest of the design. You can clearly see it from the crosshatch chalk marks in this picture.
The design from the back. There's a little bit of show through from the top thread and a couple of threads that need to be snipped but all in all, not bad.
The first two corners were not a complete success but I did get better as I went along. Here's what I learned. DON'T quilt the corners first! I think I should have started on the long sides first because the true center line runs off those sides. DO look at all four dimensions when hooping not just right/left but diagonals when hooping corners. This is where I slipped up and it bit me in the butt.
I won't be ripping this out, I'm moving along. This is a learning piece for me and I'm learning A LOT! Besides, in the past my need for perfection has stopped me from completing projects and I'm moving past self criticism in order to learn and grow.
Linking up to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times. Thanks to Miss Judy for continuing this fun quilter's tradition which has kept so many of us connected through the years even though she is not so much into quilting these days.
Until next time,