Thursday, January 28, 2016

First 2016 Finish



RedLetterQuilts
Pretty excited to have actually made the deadline for my January One Monthly Goal Link Up! This bed runner project was a challenge for me and I'm so glad I stuck it out.
 The quilting was done entirely in the hoop on my embroidery machine. I watched a lot of YouTube videos and just decided to go for it.

I bumped up the contrast in this photo so you can see the quilting a little better.
The binding is also done entirely by machine. A good place to try out those fancy stitches. Since this is intended to be a bed runner I anticipate that it might get a fair amount of washing so I need it to be sturdy. 
Hard to see the quilting but I'm happy with three of the four corners. I quilted the corners first and messed up the placement. I should have waited to quilt the corners until after I had done the borders, it would have been easier to determine where the corners should be relative to the borders. Lesson learned.
Bed runner measures 80"x25"
Linking up to One Monthly Goal Linky Party at Red Letter Quilts. Thanks Heidi for the push to get things done!
RedLetterQuilts


If you want to see the posts about the whole embroidery machine quilting process here are the links:
Trying a Change of Pace
My First Quilty Goal of the Year  
What I Should Have Done

Until next time,

12 comments:

  1. Pat you did a great job!!! I have watched several of those you tube videos on doing this, and it is very interesting to me! I don't have a long hoop though with my machine. I think you would need that? I too have gotten to where I do a machine attached binding, both front and back. I attach the usual way, and then turn over and stitch in the ditch, and you don't even see the stitching. SO much easier and faster than hand binding, and of course much stronger for washings. Now I am going to go back and watch the links you enclosed. Great job, and I can't wait to see more!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I would try this with a 4x4 hoop only because of the number of times I would have to move the hoop. That being said I did quilt a Valentine Table runner in my small hoop a couple of years ago and blogged about it. Here are the links: http://dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com/2014/02/quilting-by-machine.html
      http://dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-screw-up-fairy-was-here.html

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your first finish of the year!

    Great job on the quilting...I'm going to give it a try on a small quilt first. What kind / size needle did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a 70/11 embroidery needle with polyester embroidery thread and pre-wound bobbins. I think it's a good idea to try a small project first and be sure to loosen that hoop screw when hooping, you can always tighten it back up. ALso important to check for placement in all four directions - ask me how I know.

      Delete
  3. Nice job, would have like to see the whole runner. Really like the colors too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The runner is so long at 80" it was too hard to get a good picture. maybe when I actually put it on the bed this summer I can get a good photo.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous bed runner. Excellent quilting, and such pretty fabrics. I made some for my family members for this past Christmas, ans was surprised that they had never heard of bed runners before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only ever seen them used in fancy hotels that's where I got the idea. We stayed in a fancy hotel last spring in Las Vegas Trump Tower when our kids treated us to a trip.

      Delete
  5. Your runner looks beautiful. The quilting adds a nice detail to the finished quilt. Congratulations on persevering and finishing for the One Monthly Goal link-up. Well done!
    Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. It does feel good to have a finish early in the new year.

      Delete
  6. Pretty runner, congrats! The quilting looks pretty too, it would be fun to try this out with a whole-cloth runner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heidi. This was a challenge and certainly Not faster than conventional quilting.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.