Friday, January 22, 2016

A Day in the Life

Taking a break from computer woes. I just have to step away from this dang machine once in a while or I'll go crazy. We're talking Windows 10 here people! The great switch over is going OK I guess but if you've ever had to change to a new device then I know you feel my pain.
"Is that computer stuff ever going to be over?"
The rest of my chores don't stop just because I have a tech crisis. The dogs still need their daily run and the hens still need to be visited. The weather has been alternating between freezing cold and rain, rain, rain. I'm not going to complain about the rain because I certainly did more than my fair share of complaining about the drought. It can rain all it wants as long as it's snowing in the high country, which it is. Tahoe skiers are loving this!
I break up the ice on the water tanks so the dogs and wild life can get a drink.
It's about three inches thick right now.
River and Shadow could care less if it's wet or cold as long as we get to go for a run. The minute I start to put on my boots they start whining and jumping around, that's their signal for outside fun.
Throw it!
The mandatory activity is ball throwing for 10 minutes and stick throwing for as long as I'm willing.
Shadow follows her nose
River follows me!
The hens are eager for kitchen scraps and this time of year a few scoops of grain are added to their diet for warmth.
 I throw hay into their run to help absorb moisture and give them something to scratch around in. They are late to rise and early to bed these days and are are not laying At All. I'm buying eggs at the market. The shame of it all! I don't provide artificial light in the coop so the ladies have a chicken vacay from their duties in the winter months.
Gossip Girls
Fluffed up against the cold
 As soon as the days warm up and start to get longer they will be ready to lay eggs again.
A day like any other here on Dogwood Lane. No sewing/quilting has happened so far this week and I need to correct that if I want to meet my first One Monthly Goal Challenge. Back to the grind of computer change out 2016. I still can't figure out my new router *sigh*.

Until next time,

Linking up to Farm Girl Friday

14 comments:

  1. You must be really north to be getting snow and ice. I know you guys really needed rain, my brother lives in northern CA too. I would love to have chickens, but I would need to be younger, and have a small farm. Alas, I am older and live in a small subdivision. It's outside of town, but still too populated. Have fun with those dogs. River has grown up beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain is such a blessing so I'm not complaining, at least not very much. One of the main things I wanted after moving here was a flock f hens and my sweet husband has really been such a help making that wish a reality. After the infrastructure is in place the upkeep is not to bad and with no rooster the neighbors are not bothered if I had any neighbors ;-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you they are my true companions out here in the middle of nowhere.

      Delete
  3. Hope you, the ladies and your handsome dogs stay warm. Good luck with your computer fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This computer is at 75% right now still no router but I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get it worked out. No more snow just lts more rain which we desperately need so al is good. I hope the same for you.

      Delete
  4. Chickens, pups, and snow makes for a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that! Hope your day is just as good maybe not the snow part!

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear hens aren't laying, but makes me feel better about ours. They have not been laying for about 3 wks. This has never happened before. First time in 3 yrs. we have had to buy eggs. we just got 8" of snow (Ky) here. That is quite a bit for us. We are usually get 2or3 inches. But I got to sew all day yesterday. And looks good for today too.
    You and critters stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the girls get older they take more time off true for all of us, right? They'll perk up in the spring. This is why we end up with new chicks and pretty soon we have a big flock when we only planned on a few hens. Right now I'm running an old age home for hens. Mine are going on four years old and real farmers all over are laughing at me!

      Delete
  6. Brrrr!! Yes this has been some cold rain we have been having! River and Shadow are both so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julieanne, I'm getting just a tad tired of all the rain. I'd like just a little break with a ray of sunshine so we could get outside and dig in the dirt I have some tree planting to do.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful dogs! I am rather lucky with computer issues since I married a computer engineering nerd. Do the chickens require different food with the temperature change. Always wondered that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son who lives next door is IT director for a major college and is NO help with computer stuff unless I whine and beg! He says I taught him everything he knows so he knows I can figure it out, bratty kid!. I do give the hens more grain in the winter as it provides them with more heat as they digest it helping them stay warm. No grain in the summer for this reason. The days are getting longer and some of them have decided to lay an egg now and then - hurrah!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.