Monday, November 30, 2015

Trying a Change of Pace

Just like most of my American friends I've spent the majority of my time in the kitchen this past week. While I love to cook and try new recipes I've been itching to get back to the sewing room and try out some ideas that have been swirling around for a while.
I'm putting the imaginary bakery project on hold for now and doing a little brain palette cleansing by tackling some quilting on this bed runner. Some of you will remember from earlier in the year when I decided to abandon a long ago UFO and use some it's parts in projects I could be more enthusiastic about. I wrote about letting go of a bad project in this post and the outcome in this post.
Here's quilting inspiration for you. EARLY morning leaves on Thanksgiving morning. My whole Georgetown family including me! participated in a 5K run/walk to feed the hungry. Obviously I was the one walking.
My family Thanksgiving morning in 30 degree temps getting ready to race. My two eldest grandsons home for the holiday and ready to rumble with the folks.
This is what I look like with five layers of clothing. I'm no beauty in the AM believe me!
A Divide 5K is cross country all the way with water hazards and mud slides. Did I mention cold?
Anyway, those frosty leaves got me thinking about quilting patterns and my bed runner just waiting for some quilted goodness. Funny how that happens.
I'm going to continue my experiment with using my embroidery machine to quilt. As soon as the Thanksgiving dinner was cleaned up I was upstairs in my sewing room looking over my machine embroidery patterns and look what I found. Perfect!  I sewed out the ones I liked on stabilizer to act as my templates for spacing the designs. I'm not concerned about trying to connect these in a continuous border, I just like the way the design will fill the space.
here's a leaf motif I can twist any way I like to fill in. Since this is kind of a found project I feel freed up to experiment so I'm going for it here.
Choosing threads, the very best part of machine quilting. I finished the straight line quilting yesterday and I'm ready to move on to the embroidery machine. Keeping my fingers crossed and plowing ahead. I'll be leaving in a couple of days for a family visit to So. Cal which will put a screeching halt to all sewing and then it will be all Christmas all the time so I don't expect a lot of progress on any of my projects until the new year but we all have to have things to dream about, right?
If you want to see how my last experiment in machine embroidery quilting went you can check out this post. 

It's Design Wall Monday y'all.

Until next time,

4 comments:

  1. That is going to be a nice design I'm interested in how that will work out. You have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and wanting to dive in but of course family calls just when inspiration strikes. That's always the way it seems to go around here.I'm so easily distracted it's ridiculous. Off to the airport I go.

      Delete
  2. How fun to see you all covered in layers for your cross country run/walk with the family and I like the embroidery you are doing on the table runner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilting design is perfect for your table runner. I need to use my embroidery machine more often for quilting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.