Monday, November 9, 2015

DWM/Just Desserts

Between hand stitching all that binding for the swirl tablerunners I'm contemplating the next step on the my just for fun dessert themed wall hanging. When I left off it looked like this: 
 
I'm thinking that's a bit on the blah side. It certainly needs something to make it more interesting. Back to the stash I go to search for a little zing. How about some stripes?
Here are the two I found that might work. The stripe on the left is a variegated red and pink and the one on the right is a multicolored pastel. Which one would you go with?
Yep, me too! This multicolored pastel is perfect. It picks up all the different frosting colors from the cakes and other goodies. What a lucky find from the stash! I'm going to add a very narrow inner border and then see where to go from there. I have about two yards of this stripe that I purchased a while ago from Connecting Threads when they were having a promotion/sale thinking it would make great bias binding. It's always good to stock up when you can get a great price don't you think? Their fabrics have never disappointed me and the price cannot be beat. 
Speaking of mail order fabric. Because of where I live - the back of beyond, I buy a lot of my fabric by mail and I have a few places that I use pretty regularly. Connecting Threads is a mainstay as is E Quilter and Hancock's of Paducah. These three are the ones I use the most and I have never had any difficulties with any of them. (No affiliation I just like their stuff.)  Do you ever buy fabric online and if so which vendors do you prefer? I'd really like to know what others are doing in this area.
This gorgeous hunk of awesome just arrived from Hancock's and the color and hand of this takes my breath away. This is probably the most expensive fabric I have ever purchased and I really searched around for the best deal. In the end I still paid $11/yd. Yikes, an all time high for me! I really, really wanted this exact yardage. I have a VERY ambitious project in mind for this but I will need to screw up my courage first and clear the decks before I tackle it.

Posting my cakes on Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times and hopping over for some design inspiration. How about you? What's on your design wall?

Until next time,

8 comments:

  1. I love Connecting Threads! Their fabric is just lovely and the Essential threads are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only use Essential Threads for my piecing love the big spools.

      Delete
  2. I love that fabric. I have a friend who made a beautiful quilt from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a MAJOR project in mind if I can work up the nerve to cut into this beautiful stuff. It's so yummy in person.

      Delete
  3. I love the stripes you are using. Looking back through your posts, I am fascinated with the detail in the sweets. Great job.

    That fabric is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved embroidering those cakes and I think I'll be adding a few other embroidery bits to this so check back to see what happens to this piece as it evolves.

      Delete
  4. Patrica the pastel stripe is the perfect touch for your yummy quilt. The desserts each look so incredible!
    I have been gone from blogland for awhile and don't know how long you've had it up, but I just love your hilarious "about me" photo, with the scissors through your head, LOL.
    The cityscape fabric is amazing! Really love all those colors!
    I do most of my fabric shopping online too. I most often buy from Etsy shops, although I like a lot of the bigger names too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that photo on my phone taken at a quilt retreat some time ago so it's grainy and tiny and not suitable for regular viewing but I thought it was funny too. It also about sums up my personality to tell you the truth. That cityscape fabric is glorious and I think I'll just pet it for a while at least until the new year. Who can concentrate on major project around the holidays? Not me that's for sure.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.