Monday, October 19, 2015

The Roller Coaster Ride


photo credit
How do you feel about roller coasters? Personally I hate the things! Sure there's some fun involved and the views at the top can be spectacular but the nausea of the drop and whiplash just aren't worth the cheap thrill for this girl. My entire summer and now most of the fall has felt like one extended roller coaster ride and I'm ready to get off.
We have had a lot of great things happen  - fun family visits, happy times with grown children and growing grandkids, a beautiful niece's wedding.
Heartbreaking events too - dear friends with life threatening illnesses, a young mother stricken and fighting for her life and two friends left widowed mourning their partners. Life changes are happening all around with dear friends moving away as well.
All these things have found us racking up frequent flyer/road miles and plenty of time sleeping in strange beds. This hasn't left a lot of time nor much energy for pursuing anything creative and I just haven't had what it takes to write blog posts. 
All this is by way of explaining why I haven't posted here in six weeks or more. Six weeks, yikes! Well, time to get back into the groove and get creating again. I have projects to show you and stuff behind the scenes I'm eager to share.
On my design wall is a project using some gorgeous stripe fabric I just had to buy. Browsing the internet to calm your nerves can be dangerous for the credit card - just saying.
I couldn't resist the wonderful colors in this stripe it reminded me of a Russian painted nesting doll and I have a friend who I think will enjoy this too. Connie at Free Motion By The River had a project quite a while back that I pinned on Pinterest and wanted to try that was perfect for this fabric so I decided to wing it without a pattern. All I have to go on are some You Tube videos and my trusty 60 degree triangle ruler, Star Maker 6 which I have actually never used. 
Lining up the fabric and making those first cuts is a little daunting but remember it's only fabric not brain surgery - nobody is going to die here!
Whew! All laid out and ready to sew together. See that wasn't so bad. I need a nap.

For more design wall Monday projects go to Patchwork Times and see what other quilters are up to. I promise I'll show you how this and more of my projects are turning out. Be back soon.

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Sorry that past few months have been such a roller coaster. It's certainly understandable that you are ready for things to settle down a bit.
    That fabric is pretty, and I love how the stripes will form such a nice pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi. thanks for the kind words. I can't begin to tell you what a wild ride we've had lately I'm so ready for some peace and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May you feel God's peace in your heart through this difficult time. The striped fabric is lovely and you found an excellent way to show it off to good advantage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling more at peace and begin each day so thankful. I'm loving this project and it's going together like a dream so it must be a good meditation for me right now.

      Delete
  4. Patrica, hope your roller coaster is slowing down, and maybe you can jump off for some normal living at your place. No more traveling and sleeping away---Just that is exhausting for me as I don't sleep well away from home. Hope you can get back in the groove at home. I've missed your blogging. That fabric is beautiful! And I assume that is a table runner you are making with it? It's going to gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie, I hope to be able to stay home for a while you are so right about not sleeping well when away from home. I would blame age but the truth is I have never been a good sleeper. My husband calls it princess and the pea syndrome. This is going to be a table runner and is turning out so nice I think. I'll post more about it later. Just the ticket to get my quilting mojo back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I was on a similar roller coaster all summer, too !
    I'm still hoping that that guy is coming back to shut the thing down !
    Life happening fast is all I can say.
    Even tho' I've managed to keep my eyes open and snatch a bit of creative time, it hasn't been satisfying ... here's hoping that the next few mos. are full of happy times doing what makes us the happiest ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be exhausting can't it but I'm doing my best to let some things go and spend more time if only half an hour a day doing the things I love best in order to recharge myself. I hope you will be able to do the same. I am so blessed in so many ways and that's what I remind myself as I move on, most of these things are first world problems after all!

      Delete
  7. BUt that fabric cut up looks fantastic! Sending happy hugs your way....cause as you said...sometimes, life is full of ups and downs. Enjoy the peace quilting offers us. :) (Glad to see ya back)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, this fabric makes me happy and the project is coming together GREAT!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.