Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Cutting Those Wedges

Turning this border print which I had in my stash into a table runner is the challenge I set for myself to get my creativity back. I turned to YouTube to find the answer since I didn't have a pattern and wanted to get started like yesterday!
This is the video I found most helpful and I watched it about five times before I figured I understood what was going on here. The video says you need 1 1/4 yds of fabric and I had 2 yds so good to go! 
I also found these rulers lurking in my ruler hoard. I tell you cleaning out and rearranging my sewing space last spring has been the best thing I've done in ages. I now know what fabric I have at a glance (amazing border print) and what rulers I have (not one but two 60 degree rulers!). I don't have to buy anything to get started right away. 
Time to make those cuts. Full disclosure here - I miscut the very first cut and so wasted the first 10 or 11 inches of my fabric. Oh well, good thing I have more than the recommended yardage. One reason I always buy more than the project suggests.
Now on to the sewing. It's pretty clear that this project's success depends on accuracy in cutting and especially sewing. To help with the cutting I think starch is the answer. These are bias edges here and bias moves so starch really helps. Best Press is not the best for this you really need starch to make the fabric stable. Best Press, which I love for most of the time is more of a sizing and just not stiff enough.
Folding back the fabric to get a good view of those lines.
Lots of lines to match up and that means LOTS OF PINNING! I like flower head pins because they're easy for me to grasp with my touch of arthritis but whichever pins work for you, don't be shy pin away.


That's the longest seam and each match point is pinned especially the center point.


Because of all the intersecting seams I pressed all the seams open so the piece will lay nice and flat. This is a lot of up close piecing but I find it relaxing in an odd way. it's a really good feeling when it comes together well.
I'm satisfied with today's effort, I need a break.

Until next time,



10 comments:

  1. Good Evening Patrica, I love the vibrant colours of your border fabric.... and I like your gorgeous nail varnish aswell.
    I use flower pins even if I am sewing a skirt, as I find them easy to remove whether I am handsewing or using a sewing machine.
    I am looking forward to the end result because it's obvious it is going to be pretty spectacular.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Daphne I needed to stiffen my spine in order to cut that fabric I can tell you. Isn't that nail polish fun? I've made a vow recently to take better care of my hands and this is the result. Right now I'm sporting burnt orange varnish with a tiny spider web on one nail in honor of Halloween!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I certainly hope so Billie stay tuned to see what mistakes I can make along the way, LOL!

      Delete
  3. Very nice! My sewing room is so bad right now I actually did dishes to avoid it! Glad it's all working well for you just now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing dished instead of sewing that is bad! get in there girl.

      Delete
  4. Starch! The solution to so many projects! Love how the table runner is coming together. It's going to be nice! Yes, redoing my sewing space a few years ago sure helped declutter. Really, it's still ongoing. It seems I'm always rearranging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My challenge is to keep it tidy my cutting table is a constant mess and I don't quite know how to tame that one. Any ideas??

      Delete
  5. Getting 'geometric' is the most stressful thing I could ever do ... kudos to you for doing such a good job !
    This will look gorgeous when done ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hated geometry in high school and had to retake it it in summer school just to pass so I feel your pain but there is something great about conquering angles that just speaks to me - go figure. I'm in my own world and really have to think HARD, no room in my brain for anything else and that's good right now.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.