Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Just My Cup OF Coffee

Funny Coffee Quotes | Coffee First!!!...:)

I cannot get going in the morning without a cup of java and I like it hot! A fresh cup of coffee first thing in the A.M. is a real pleasure necessity if you want me to respond to you at all. During the day I might have another cup and Chris only drinks one cup in the morning. That's three maybe four cups total per day. That means for years and years we made a pot of coffee and wasted most of it. That bothered me, a lot. Why am I telling you all this? Because I bought this about a year ago against my better judgement - 

 Against my better judgement because I was worried about the pollution of the planet from all those little plastic cups more than the cost of the coffee. I figured the cost of four cups of coffee was offset by lack of waste but it turns out even the inventor of the machine regretted his invention when he realized how much plastic waste it generates in the landfill. I couldn't justify this myself until I did some research and found this coffee company.
San Francisco Bay coffee produces coffee pods that are 98% bio-degradable. They are made of paper and corn starch of all things and are compostable. 
In order to speed up the process I cut them apart with a knife before I put them in the compost bucket then everything is tossed in for the worms to handle. Of course you can find an after market pod to fill with your own coffee grounds to use in the machine but that kind of defeats the convenience angle.
So far this is the only company I've found with a product like this. This has eased my conscience considerably while I enjoy the convenience of my instant coffee machine. The company offers lots of different blends to satisfy all tastes. (I'm not a shill for these guys I'm just letting you know what I do in case you might be interested.) Perhaps this is a dilemma you've been struggling with, how have you handled it?

Until next time, 

13 comments:

  1. I use the Eze Cup and paper filters...it really doesn't take much time to have a hot (the hotter the better) cup of coffee and you can just throw the coffee and filter into compost container...want another cup of coffee, just pop in another filter with coffee and you're good to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This what I should be doing if I were not lazy and I'm glad to know about the paper filters I'll be looking for those at Target the next time I'm in town.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation. I am sad to say that we only occasionally use the cup to fill with our own coffee. I'll see if I can find this brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually order this brand from Costco online but they also have it in the store. Because we live more than an hours drive from the warehouse it's easier for me to do some online shopping.

      Delete
  3. I also hated the throwaway containers and how many thousands are trashed every day! Glad someone thought up a better idea. Coffee and I are not friends but the resort where we spent an anniversary weekend had tea pods too. Nice and hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have friends that drink a lot of tea and I use just the hot water feature to serve them when they visit. I also like a cup of tea in the afternoon so this comes in handy for me too.

      Delete
  4. We had the same concerns over our Keurig Patrica. It turns out that they also make a reusable, permanent cup that you can fill with your own coffee. Ah- I see Lainee knew the name - Ez Cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to be looking for this at Target when I go to town Lara how about you?

      Delete
  5. Very cool compost idea. You go girl. (I'm a tea drinker since I got the ol/ gallbladder out)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reserve tea for the cold months so soothing on a winter day.

      Delete
  6. There are different models of Keurig coffee makers. We've had the newer 2.0 for about a year now. I have to be so careful to buy the correct Keurig disks as not all of them will work in our newer model Keurig. Does anyone reading here, or do you know Patrica what model you have, and does the San Francisco Coffee blend work in the 2.0?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you Angie I've out of the loop for a while. I looked it up and the San Francisco Coffee brand specifically state that they work with the Keurig 2.0 My model is an older one I guess so it hasn't been an issue.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing in this article
    I can learn a lot and could also be a reference
    I hope to read the next your article updates

    [-] Vimax Asli
    [-] Vimax
    [-] Vimax Canada
    [-] Obat Vimax
    [-] Pembesar Penis
    [-] Agen Vimax Asli

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.