Monday, August 24, 2015

Far From Perfect

I had so many nice comments about my dessert cake embroideries and how perfect they looked but I'm here to tell you that those cakes are far from perfect. In one particular instance you would have thought I was baking a real cake it gave me so much trouble!
Normally it's not my policy to point out mistakes. I have a high tolerance for flubs as long as the overall look of a piece is pleasing but in machine embroidery those flubs can really add up to a raggedy a$$ mess unless you take steps to nip them in the bud.
Here is one of those times when a bad stitch out could turn into a disaster if left to continue. I tried to get a good picture of loopies suddenly happening in this otherwise good fill stitch. This is the foundation of the carrot cake - it's gonna show!
This picture shows better what I'm talking about. Giant, raised thread loops! Yikes! The right side of the stitch out is perfect and then suddenly, disaster! Lots of exclamation points here I may even have uttered a bad word or three. What's the problem? If you're experiencing trouble on the top of the project check your bobbin first and make sure all is clean and running smoothly. The tiniest piece of thread or lint can mess things up in the bobbin area. Nope, that wasn't it. Re-thread everything with the presser foot UP so that the tension disks can grab that thread properly. Nope, that wasn't it. 
Change your needle! Even if your think that needle is almost, probably brand new, Change the needle! Nine times out of ten a new needle will solve a top stitch problem if you're sure your bobbin case is clean and your machine is threaded correctly.
By the way - Here's how I store my used machine and hand needles. A small hole in the top of a child safe pill bottle. Just drop the used needle in. Those sharp objects don't need to go directly into the trash where they can hurt someone.
If I want to sew on paper or some other strange material I can access a needle pretty easily too.
Do you have any tips to share for dealing with dreaded sew out mishaps?
The brothers and spouses are due to arrive on Dogwood Lane in two days for lots of sibling tomfoolery so you won't be hearing from me for a while.

It's design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times go visit Judy and see what's up.

Until next time,

2 comments:

  1. I feel your frustration! But everything turned out fantastic! love the cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly machine embroidery can be frustrating but I do love the challenge and I do love the result. It's so facinating to me to see what happens under the needle as the pattern appears and I love picking out the colors.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.