Monday, June 22, 2015

Flutterbies

 My embroidery obsession continues. Before we left for San Diego and Eve's birthday party, before the visit from our son's family I had started on another embroidery project featuring the jewels of the summer garden  - butterflies. I love everything about butterflies but most especially their endless variety and color which makes them perfect subjects for machine embroidery. 
Isn't it amazing how the above stitching begins as what appears as tangled thread and ends as a wonderful, detailed butterfly?
Each of these butterfly designs uses between 20 and 26 colors of thread to complete the design. Lots of color changes and so I'm watching the machine like a hawk to avoid thread breakage and bobbin tangles.
Each design takes about two hours to stitch out and I've found that if I let my embroidery machine cool off a bit between stitch outs I get a better result over all so I usually do one design per day.
As these are stitching I'm planning which thread color I'll use next and using my notebook to sketch out an overall layout for the finished embroideries. I'm not a big fan of plopping them down in a grid and calling it a day. 
These butterflies are destined for a small wallhanging in a window box layout. I love the shadow box effect so far. Believe it or not after I had these all together I found the perfect border fabric in my stash just waiting to be used. I didn't even know it was there until I went looking for a border. 

Alas, there wasn't enough of it so you know what that means - an internet search. I'll show you the results of my quest next time.
What do you think? Should I have planned it all out before I started or do you design on the fly like me?
It's Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times let's go see what everyone else is working on.

Until next time,


 
*These are Amazing Designs Butterflies III & IV

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful butterflies. I love machine embroidery and I do a lot. However, I haven't stitched a design with that many color changes yet. The blocks I did for my son's quilt had the most stitch count I've encountered so far and they were around 30 - 40 thousand. My machine needed breaks in between as well. What kind of machine do you have?

    I love the layout and the fabrics you are using is perfect for a summer wall hanging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a janome350e embroidery only machine a step up from old machine which was a Janome 9000 I bought used and which I wore out. When I couldn't get replacement parts for the mother board on it I decided to buy the 350 and used my even older Bernina for straight sewing for a while. Now I have my 6600 and we all know how much I love that machine for sewing. Can a girl have too many sewing machines??

      Delete
  2. most the time on the fly....love the butterflies too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a girl after my own heart Valerie - flying by the seat of her pants - creatively that is ;-)

      Delete
  3. These are such beautiful pieces Patrica! I had no idea that it was such a complex endeavor, but that make total sense. Love the border fabric you found and wish you luck in finding more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does kin dof drive me crazy when people say the machine does all the work after I've spent hours on a piece but I do understand how one might think that. I came up with different fabric in the end but I like the result. Thanks for your comments they are always welcome.

      Delete
  4. you do beautiful work, following on bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, it's always nice to get feedback on your work and thanks for following too!

      Delete
  5. This will make a gorgeous quilt. And your stash fabric with all those butterflies on it is indeed a perfect match. I also like designing on the fly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. France Nadeau -
    My favorite is being able to combine my love of machine embroidery and my love of quilting - very satisfying. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.