Monday, June 1, 2015

An Embroidered Rose

I'm still on an embroidery binge and enjoying every minute playing with thread. I'm completely mesmerized watching my color choices take shape. This time I'm using an applique element as well and while applique in the hoop can be a little tricky there are a few tips that can make things go more smoothly for you.
Absolutely essential is a good pair of scissors with a fine, sharp point. These little snips are the best I've found so far. The tips are super fine and curve slightly upward for a nice close trim. I've also found that starching the heck out of your applique fabric really helps. Floppy fabric just gets in the way. For intricate or small areas some folks use Steam-A-Seam Lite on their applique fabric and that works great too but I couldn't do that for this design because I had to cut away quite a bit of the trellis after it was stitched so starching it was my best option.
Here's the applique after the satin stitch has been added. As you can see having those sharp scissors to cut good and close pays off in a really clean finish.
Once the entire design has been stitched out including the edge finish and the trellis fill it can come out of the hoop.
I use a towel on my ironing board and lightly steam press this upside down to remove hoop marks and keep the stitching from sinking too much.
This is another design from San Francisco Stitch Co. Seasonal Mug Rugs collection that I'll be using as wall art.
One last tip: Don't forget to clean your machine. Whether your embroidering or straight up sewing that machine gets dirty and needs some attention. I clean mine after every embroidery project and my sewing machine with every bobbin change. Too much you say? You be the judge. This is my sewing machine from one bobbin to the next. I was sewing on fleece in this instance but still.

It's Design Wall Monday, you know what's on my wall what's on yours?

Until next time,

15 comments:

  1. Your embroidery is beautiful!

    I do not believe you can clean your machine too much.

    Thank you for all of the tips...I have those same scissors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those scissors are my true friends I LOVE them so.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I'm using it as a small little art piece in my sewing room something just for me.

      Delete
  3. Incredibly beautiful...I am blown away! Now I am wishing I had an embroidery machine....maybe some day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch out! Embroidery machines are a slippery slope of sewing madness, the best kind of madness of course.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. DO you do any machine embroidery? What kind and how do you use them if you do?

      Delete
  5. That is an beautiful rose Patrica! Your work looks perfect! I am a big believer in starch too... especially with anything that will need a lot of stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my new thing I'm a slow learner I guess but that's the thing I like about my sewing hobbies I'm always learning new things and hopefully improving.

      Delete
  6. I love your little discussion re; cleaning your machine. I have always done this to the 2 old girls I have worked with (call them the Virgins, as no man's hands had ever touched them ;)) ... oiled & cleaned regularly ... neither one has/had ever needed to see a sewing machine doctor ! So important to know your machine inside & out !

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so beautiful!! ...and thanks for the reminder to clean my machine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. where did you purchase your snips? I'm looking for a good pair. I've ordered several that i don't like, even the farmore brand.
    I'd love to find a good pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found those snips on-line at Amazon I can't remember the name but they were in sewing notions, not expensive at all. A good pair of snips makes a big difference!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.