Thursday, May 21, 2015

Up In The Air

You may recall a while back I showed you what to my mind is wasted space in my kitchen and maybe you have a similar spot in your kitchen as well. Too high to be of any practical use and yet visible for anyone to see.
There it is waiting for some magic to happen. And here it is after some rummaging around in the garage and attic.
I didn't buy a thing for this kitchen make over and I purposely kept it simple because it's a true pain in my patootie to clean up there involving very high ladders and lots of extreme climbing!
Those watering cans have been scattered around various locations in the house holding dry flowers. All were acquired at yard sales at various times. The child's high chair was a recent gift from my DIL found at a yard sale for $5. It's held together with rope, all I did was dust it off. The bread dough trencher is hand carved from a single log. I found it at an antique store here in town when I first moved to Georgetown 18 years ago. It's really huge and must have served a large family in it's day. If memory serves me I think I paid $25 for it at the time and I still love the history and character of that piece.
On the right is my life sized tribute to Silent Bob may he rest in peace. You can read about Silent Bob in this post. Of course, Bob must have a companion and so he is keeping company with a hen cookie jar (reminds me of Mrs. Gold who is also no longer with us) which was a gift from a friend years ago. All good chickens go to heaven I suppose. At least they live in memory in my kitchen. I've had the poster in the background for years, a souvenir of a wonderful Van Gogh museum exhibit. 

There we have it. My space is filled with things I love and the dead space has come to life. What do you do with your top of cabinet/empty areas? I'd really like to see.

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Your space looks great. Dusting is a necessary evil but I avoid it at all costs by trying not to have things that need dusting... so I'm not sure what I'd do if I had a space like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My solution - only look up once a year!

      Delete
  2. Yep....your space looks great....and don't worry a little dust will add character! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, does my house have plenty of character! In fact it kind of looks like a ghost town or Disney's Haunted Mansion!

      Delete
  3. There is no escaping the dust where ever you put things ... but at that height, it will be a long time before anyone notices ;) By then you will be ready to change it up !
    Personally, I don't have very much in the way of space above me and I would leave my spaces empty ... maybe a plant and an old crock or 2.
    But, this space of yours looks absolutely wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I left that space empty it would be such a visual void I think my eye would be constantly drawn to it now I can ignore it until the once a year cleaning comes around and I send my husband up the the ladder for that.

      Delete
  4. You have a nice high ceiling above your cabinets--love the stories behind your new display. Our low, flat ceiling above just the end of our cabinets does not need any more attention drawn to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Annie either we have too much of a good thing or not enough, isn't that always the way?

      Delete
  5. Oh those cupboard tops look wonderful now! Right up my alley Patrica! Did you actually make your Silent Bob chicken tribute? Is he paper mache? He is fabulous and I sure would love it if you did a tutorial on that too.
    Our kitchen has very tall top cupboards and they actually meet the ceiling... so less dusting, but no displays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that chicken in a small gift shop Lara and had to have him, he looks just like Silent Bob. He's made of metal so will stand forever! I complain but I do like the display possibilities and have changed it out a few times over the last 18 years. Less dusting would be nice I must admit.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.