Monday, May 4, 2015

It's Been A Bad Break Up

 Remember that boyfriend you had in high school, the one you were just crazy about? All your friends liked him and thought he was sooo cute, the two of you were perfect together. That is until you got to know him a little better. After a while you began to notice his annoying little habits. He snorted when he laughed, his clothes were always sloppy, he was rude to your best friend. But still you thought with a little work you could FIX HIM. So you overlooked what is obviously irritating you and put a smile on your face when he said something dumb or showed up wearing plaids and stripes AGAIN and embarrassed you at the dance. The woman's fatal error, trying to fix a bad relationship. You started avoiding him in the hallways between classes and dodging his phone calls. Finally, enough is enough and you just had to let him go. It's not you it's him, not matter what you told him at the time.
 Where is this all leading? Right here to an empty design wall. I just had to let Fern Creek Sampler go!
I know, I know it seems nice enough until you get to know it. But, believe me when I tell you this thing is a dog and no amount of work is going to fix it. I've lived long enough to recognize a bad relationship when I see one. I've started avoiding my sewing room just so I don't have to look at it and that's a bad, bad sign. The next thing you know I'll be dodging it's phone calls and sneaking out the back door so we don't run into each other.

All is not lost however, I have learned a lot from this failed relationship. No amount of work can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse in spite of what your well meaning friends might say. Unlike a discarded ex-boyfriend I can cut this up and use the parts. I have plans for several of the rows. That purple and green row which I like quite a lot will make a nifty summer bed runner for my bed, I can already picture it. The barn door blocks will be perfect for a Thanksgiving tablerunner. Likewise those really cute little stars. The rest will be saved for re-purposing. Who knows when I might need a band or border and these might be just the ticket. The log cabin would be the perfect center for a pillow but those clunky trees have to go.
A bad break-up doesn't have to be the end of the world. It's all a learning experience and clears the way for a better relationship to follow. After all, I got the man of my dreams in the end! What about you? Have you ever had to break up with a quilt you originally loved? DO TELL.

Linking to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times.

Until next time,

18 comments:

  1. Dump him! He's not good enough for you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Bad Boyfriend is outa here!

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry to see you are breaking up but sometimes it is for the best. At least it sounds like you are still able to be friends. It is good that you can repurpose a good portion of the quilt.

    This post made me chuckle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for understanding my lame humor. You're right at least we can remain friends.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I HATE to give up but there it is. I'm moving on and so much happier. Spent the whole day yesterday in the m - yippee!

      Delete
  4. We all have some "not gonna survive" pieces and parts, I think! But obviously your ideas for parting it out mean all your work is not lost :) Thanks for the grins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already started on the bed runner I had in mind for the purple and green row so getting that bad relationship off my back was the right choice. Why it took me so long to make the decision I'll never know. I just HATE to give up once I've started something no matter how awful it's going. Stubborn I guess.

      Delete
  5. Oh well, it will work out better in the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's already working out better since that dog of a project isn't staring me in the face every time I climb the stairs. I've already started sewing up a bed e of the rows.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely!!! I say do whatever gives you a peace of mind! I hate to be wasteful but sometimes my peace of mind and creative mojo is more important! I've thrown 6 inch sampler blocks AWAY...lesson learned: I don't do small well or happily! LOL!! I don't ever want to see them in a label, pieced back or pillow. Heck burn them! Oh no what! THose were the ol' journals from boyfriends past!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! Burn old love letters? Best get them out of there to make way for true love in the future right? I can definitely easier with that monster out of the way I can tell ya.

      Delete
  7. No, I don't think so, but it does bring to mind a friend of mine who when she didn't like something would throw it and all the fabric that went with it away. It would just make me cringe. I am just too frugal, I guess. I like your ideas of how to repurpose most of the rows though so good for you on deciding to end it before it was too late. By the way, great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frugality wins out with me too Mimi that's why I had to start thinking of ways I could re-purpose that thing. I've already started working on a bed runner using the purple and green row and I'm loving it! I could Never just through it away I don't think. Maybe I shouldn't say never, there might come a time...

      Delete
  8. Great post and great comments !!... great laugh !!
    Personally, I have never had the guts to get rid of a piece ... must muster up some of your gumption ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so liberating to kick this thing to the curb! I've already moved on. There is something drastically wrong when you don't want to go into your sewing space because you don't want to look at a bad project staring back at you. Do it - get rid of the bad vibes!

      Delete
  9. lol! Very funny comparison. I was with you all up til I saw the quilt. I like it. I know who cares... but I do. I think it needed spacers between the rows. Anyway. I've had my share of loser guys, and loser quilts but more loser guys.
    LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked it too until I didn't! Same with some guys am I right?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.