Monday, May 25, 2015

Enjoying the Process

Sometimes I just want to make something without a goal in mind. I just want to play with fabric and thread and see what happens, I want to watch the colors come together into something pretty or even something weird. Whenever I'm in that kind of mood I most often turn to machine embroidery because it appeals to both the left and right sides of my brain  - both the analytical side and the creative side.
Where else can you combine the computer geek and the hand crafter? Choosing color and pattern, fabric and thread placement, making sure everything is lined up just right for a perfect sew out.
The complete fascination of watching the whole thing come together and the total frustration when the design does not turn out as expected. Something which appears simple can take an inordinate amount of time and thought and can be completely engrossing.
Which color thread will be exactly the right shade for the leaf edge or the water lily center? This particular design requires 24 color decisions!
Mistakes might happen along the way that have the potential of ruining the piece and require some thinking and ingenuity to repair. See that white bobbin thread showing through at top. That is NOT supposed to there and makes the satin stitch edge look awful and ragged.
Permanent markers to the rescue! I have every color I can find in very fine point for just this reason.
White bobbing thread gone!
This particular piece which measures about 5"x7" had a lot of decisions to make and opportunities for error. Two hours total stitch time with me attending every minute.
design from San Francisco Stitch Co
The final product, a tiny art piece hanging on my sewing room wall to remind me that Process is as important as Product!

Linking to Patchwork Times Design Wall Monday

This post featured at Freemotion by the River
 

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Markers are the super power to satin stitch applique! ;) It turned out cute! Sometimes we just need a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first started machine embroidery I didn't know this trick and threw out so many projects because of those pesky bobbin threads. Now I show this as often as possible to spare others the disappointment of an otherwise perfect stitch out going wrong.

      Delete
  2. that's right sister! Did you love this process? Was it engrossing and you forgot the time? Did it come out like you thought it would? LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  3. me again, back after looking around a while. What an entertaining style you have. Want to be best friends?? Oh that's right I saw your friends with you at the kids table, heh heh. Well, now that I found your funny blog, I'll be back.Thanks. LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was completely engrossed, forgot the time and I love the result. A project just for my pleasure something that doesn't happen too often. Glad you stopped by and hope to see you here often.

      Delete
  4. It turned out great! Is that the Mug Rug, or the bigger (can't recall the name of that project) Placemat? Love your fabrics and thread colors too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the mug rug Angie. I bought the Seasonal Mug Rug set for 2014 when it was on sale and hadn't had a chance to play around with it until now. Very stitch intensive about 20,000 in this one.

      Delete
  5. That is a very pretty and very well done lily pad Patrica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A surprising amount a time went into that little project but enjoyed it so much. Sometimes I just have to make something pretty for no reason at all. Thanks for stopping by and do visit Dogwood Lane again.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful work Patrica!! I also have my thread in the same storage container and always keep pens handy for the same reason!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.