Monday, April 6, 2015

Spring Fever On Dogwood Lane


I know, I know. I've been gone a long time but when you hear why you'll forgive me. I've been up and down the state visiting the grands of course. We walked on the Southern California beaches, built sand castles and dipped our toes in the waves. We ate wonderful fresh sea food on the Redondo Beach pier. Managed to have a meal with each and every brother and SIL which, if you've been a reader for any length of time you know means a lot of meals. Built Legos and changed dolly diapers, read stories and cuddled. Having five little grands living so far away means there are a LOT of cuddles to catch up on!
I made a surprise visit to Bunco night with my So Cal Bunco Belles. By my reckoning the Belles have been playing for almost 30 years and as an original and founding member I'm happy to say I always have a place at the table whenever I'm in town. So much fun to laugh and hang out with my gal friends. Where else can you be so comfortable than with friends you have known since you were young mothers together? All in all a glorious trip.
Of course, there is a price to pay for so much fun and ours came in the form of a mystery illness which sapped our will and caused both Chris and I to spend days in bed once we were back home. Nothing too terrible but exhausting all the same. Maybe our age catching up with us, with a mild fever thrown in?
The smallest dogwood tree putting on a show
The garden here is in full riot with the dogwood trees bursting out. The wild trees on Dogwood Lane are all white, the oldest trees bloom first and the youngest like the one in the picture above come into bloom last. If the weather holds the flowers will last for weeks. We have an ancient dogwood in the front of the house, tall and gnarled which I fear is putting on her last show. Only one branch is blooming this year, all others are dry and lifeless. The whole lane will be so sad to see her fall. This drought is taking it's toll in big ways and small.
The wisteria is almost past her prime. I wish you could walk out with me in the morning and evening when I pass under the arbor on my way to tend to the chickens. the wisteria's perfume mingled with  the scent from the lilac is intoxicating.
 My lilacs are glorious. I hesitate to call them bushes since they reach far above my head at least 15 feet tall. Shades of blue, pink, purple and this year finally, the white lilac I planted about five years ago has decided to bloom!
Yes, we really do have spring fever here on Dogwood Lane and we plan to enjoy it all the more knowing that the hot dry days of summer are not far behind.
I hope your spring is glorious too.
 
Until next time,

16 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you!! I had grand hugs this weekend too...and Monday is always such a bummer without them. It was well worth the travel time though. Spring sprouted...but now the cool temperatures have returned and it's been a lot of rain (which is good) looking forward to things really Popping in the array of color around here in a few weeks! Gads! That means it's almost may and summer is right around the corner! Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too right Val summer is just around the corner and it's going to be a busy one but that's the way we like it and I'm looking forward to more travel and more grand baby goodness. I can Never have too much of that!

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos and wonderful to hear about your trip. So glad you made it past the illness. Dogwoods are in bloom here, too. Plus some tulips, and the azaleas are ready to burst forth. Enjoyed the garden walk with you today. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, What color are your dogwoods? Ours are all wild trees and so are white, so other worldly at twilight. Hope your spring weather is grand.

      Delete
  3. h your gardens look lovely.ope you are feeling better. So nice to be with grandkids,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bug is gone and I found out the littles had it after we left so no mystery where we picked it up ;-).

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you had a lovely time visiting with loved ones. I love your lilacs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have an array of colors in our lilacs, I think my favorite are the wine color ones and then there are light blue, dark blue and now the white one. The scent is so wonderful. My only problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to pick them and bring them indoors for a bouquet when I do they wilt in a day.

      Delete
  5. Oh, how glorious is your garden !!! I can almost smell those intoxicating perfumes ;) Thanks for sharing ;)
    No spring things to report on here ... we're under a freezing rain warning for tomorrow. My fibre art group cancelled our meeting for tomorrow, so no warm fuzzier from my gal pals this week ;(
    Glad to hear you are on the mend and that you had a great time visiting family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the best time of the year for my garden, soon it will be hot, dry and dusty here in the foothills and precious few things will be in bloom but the sky is always a glorious blue. Getting together with friends always sustains us doesn't it even for a semi-introvert like me.

      Delete
  6. Your gardens are stunning!! Thanks so much for sharing them with us. Love those lilacs and dogwoods!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I planted those lilacs years ago I had no idea what the bush would look like or how large they would get to be now they are huge! I love them so much and I plant a new one almost every spring. They get very little care it's really a live or not principle around here so when one decides to thrive it is really hardy.

      Delete
  7. It was so great to see you! I'm so glad you were able to come to Bunco. It was like old times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, you know how much I love my SG friends. Nothing can replace the friendships we forged when we were young together. Besides, we know ALL the secrets. Luckily we no longer can remember them!

      Delete
  8. Happy Spring Patrica. I'm so happy you had such wonderful visits with family. I hope you and Chris are feeling much better.

    Your trees are so beautiful! What a lovely sight to come home to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take a look at what I posted this Saturday Jeanna, mountain weather is fickle to say the least but we roll with it. It certainly keeps life interesting. Happy spring to you.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.