Monday, April 27, 2015

Kitchen Table Rehab

Not the sloppy real housewives kind of rehab but the kind where you turn something old and tired into something new and beautiful. Come to think of it that's a lot like an episode of Real Housewives!
 My kitchen table has appeared as a prop in hundreds of blog photos but do you think I could find a picture of it pre makeover? No! Here it is during the process. It was a 20 year old standard farm house table with an unfinished pine top and white legs. I like the sturdy plainness of this but I wanted it to match the barn wood of the kitchen wall and the barn red accent color I'm now using in the kitchen.

Dark walnut stain, sanding and dry brushing with red paint (Ace Hardware Paprika) then several coats of satin finish poly urethane did the trick. The distressed look comes from the many years of wear this table has received from my family.  
I decided to leave the chairs the original natural pine which helps them blend with the rest of the kitchen.
Red seat cushions finish out the theme.
I LOVE the way my New/Old table looks now. Isn't it amazing what some elbow grease and paint can do to transform a piece of furniture or for that matter a room? This post wraps up my DYI kitchen renovation. I hope you've enjoyed seeing this year long work in progress. Now We're moving on to a face lift for the bedrooms but no major work needs to be done, at least I don't think so. We'll just have to see won't we?

I've put a tab at the top of the blog to group all the kitchen renovation posts in one place for those who might be interested. Thanks for following along.

Until next time,

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch Mary it was a long time in process!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Jacqueline, It certainly was a long time coming but I am pleased with the entire end result of our kitchen reno.

      Delete
  3. Love what you did with the table. It looks great! Done is nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too right Angie - Done is nice!

      Delete
  4. I had to peek...as we have almos the exact table...white legs with a butcher block top....that totally NEEDS to be rehabbe!! I just showed my husband your post and told him...we need to put our table on the summer to do list!! He loves the paint and now wants to paint ours blue to match our kitchen!! LOL!!! Yours looks wonderful! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm constantly amazed at what a little paint and stain and can do transform something. I don't know why I ever hesitate because I'm always pleased once I'm done. Can't wait to see your table, don't forget to take a before picture.

      Delete
  5. Very nice, Patrica! I enjoyed your kitchen renovations and this one tops it off. The table looks great on your floor. Congrats on the finish of your awesome kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanna, I'm glad to put a finish to this at last and move on to something NEW!

      Delete
  6. Very nice! Our dining room table, I always say, has had years of custom distressing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That distressing is what makes it unique and special and an heirloom - right?

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.