As a matter of fact I do sometimes sew. In between cooking, cleaning, gardening and as we've seen organizing I have managed to get in a stitch or two.
Diving into that hideous sewing room closet turned out to be mixed blessing because now I know exactly how many UFOs I have. Let me just say I realize that it's too many and I've taken a vow to whittle this number down in the year 2015. For instance these two boxes labeled BOM contain everything I need to finish, the Blogger Girl BOM I started in 2013. I need to make the connecting blocks for this one, lots of nine patches if I recall. I ran out of steam on those around June of 2013. The actual blocks are complete and they are lovely. I truly like this one and want to get her done and maybe even on my bed.
This box contains a machine embroidery project that was offered through a quilt shop and required me to drive an hour each way to pick up the monthly instructions, get help and work on my own to complete. Boy was that difficult and time consuming. I was a machine embroidery novice and in way over my head when I started this but I did learn a lot. I may or may not complete this one.
Here's one I really like too! The colors in this are gorgeous and as far as I can tell I have everything cut out and labeled. I was going to work on this on a retreat but I just couldn't concentrate and so put it aside. I have two of the blocks done, not sure how many there are all together but aren't they pretty?
I'm definitely going to finish this one.
This is another project I have all cut out and ready for piecing. The pattern is from this book, Scrap Basket Surprises by Kim Brackett. So many great scrap projects in this book, seriously. I have all I need ready for this pattern named "Kitchen Sink."
But the project I'm tackling first is the one that has been marinating longest. The project that has been buried the deepest and for good reason I might add.
A BOM row quilt from the Stitchin' Station in Sisters, Oregon started in 1999 called "Fern Creek Sampler". You read that right 1999! The instructions and fabrics for each row were sent out month by month and I kept up pretty well for the first nine months as you can see, in spite of the pitiful and poorly written instructions and my lack of experience. Then I just gave up. Not one of these rows came out to be the same size as the next and nowhere in the instructions was there a finished block size given, I was frustrated and confused and then there was paper piecing thrown in, eeek gods!
In my search of the web I found only one photo of the quilt so I know that at least one person was able to wade through and finish. It's for sale for $1,980 and I say more power to her.
I will not be completing this exactly as directed but I will finish it by gum and by golly!
Don't forget the Blogaversary Giveaway. Click the link and leave a comment to be entered in the drawing. I'll draw the name on March 15.
Until next time,