Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Spring Cleaning Tips

I know, most of the country is buried in snow and has cabin fever but here in Northern California we're looking at cool, crisp and somewhat sunny days and I'm thinking about spring cleaning. Those of you who aren't there yet can file these tips away until that snow starts to melt.
I have quite a few of these type of woven shades in my house. I love them because they let filtered light in during the summer months when our our Sierra sun can be quite brutal. They do collect a lot of dust though and after a while vacuuming just doesn't cut it. Our solution is to hang them outside suspended between two ladders and hose them off. I don't use any soap or cleaner because I don't know what that would do to the cords. Oh my goodness, you would not believe the dirt that comes off with just plain water! 
Once that's done we tip them on end to be sure the water runs out and let them dry completely in the sun. By the end of the day they're ready to rehang. I have had these professionally cleaned and that required me to take them down and haul them to the cleaners where they did essentially the same thing and charged me $25/each. Yikes! If you have this type of shade try it on just one and see how it goes before you commit to your whole house full, I do not want to be responsible for ruining your decor! 

Tip #2 involves washing your windows and it makes such a difference I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. One day I was sitting at Starbucks enjoying my latte and observing their windows being professionally washed. The cleaner swiped on his solution and swiped it off, all with a squeegee and done. Light bulb moment! Off to Home Depot I went and bought my professional window cleaning supplies.
This stuff will change your life! One swipe on, one swipe off and done! Any brand will do I'm sure. It has something to do with breaking the surface tension on the glass and preventing streaks. I have a lot of windows so I can get pretty excited about something that makes window cleaning easier. I also use it for glassware but in that case I rinse with warm water so there will be no residue. Mirrors sparkle too. Amazing really. If you already knew about this stuff why didn't you tell me?? Any other spring cleaning tips you've been keeping to yourself? DO tell the rest of us, we would like to know.

Don't forget the Blogaversary Giveaway. Click the link and leave a comment to be entered in the drawing. I'll draw the name on March 15.

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Two very wonderful tips, Patrica. I love squeegee for windows. I also have a lot of windows, sliding glass doors...and mirrors!

    Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The miracle for me was that cleaning solution, no more vinegar and water. This is so much faster.

      Delete
  2. Well you know I am going to get me some of that!!!!! Great post!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things just rock my world Kris!

      Delete
  3. You started the spring cleaning quite early, eh? That’s great! More than that, it’s good to know that you’ve found a product that made all the cleaning task easier for you, without the need to call a calibrated cleaning company to get things done. Well, thanks for sharing it with us, along with your other cleaning tips. Cheers!

    Bo Tolbert @ HJS Supply

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cleaning company is out of the question on my budget so anything to make the job easier is the way to go. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  4. Sounds a great idea. I am selling my house. First Open House next week. Maybe I should follow your plan but do the packing instead.

    Micaella
    Best Reviews for websites maid service Austin information

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don';t envy you the moving part, good luck with the open house may you find a buyer immediately!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems that you are really good with regard to matters of cleaning the windows and filters. The tips you provided are surely effective, and will give you more time for other tasks, since they are easy to accomplish and applicable to every household. Thanks for sharing that, Patrica! Kudos and more power to you!

    Courtney Morris @ Onyx Cleaning

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.