Monday, March 9, 2015

Filling In The Blanks


If a pile of trimmings is any indication then I've been very busy this week on the Fern Creek Sampler. If you remember this is the UFO I decided had marinated long enough and is now at the top of my To Do list. I need at least three more rows added and then I can start putting this together.
This is the block that makes up the next row and as you can see it's a fussy little thing that has a million points and finishes at 6 1/2". As I'm sewing this I have a wonderful tool that is indispensable, my dental pic.
Each of these half triangle squares is only 1 1/2" and they really need to meet as perfectly as I can make them. The dental pic is my helper to keep the fabric secure under the needle and save my finger from being sewn into my project!
This extreme close-up shows you how close to the needle I can get with it. As you can tell I've had to re-sew some seams for better accuracy, a threads breadth makes all the difference sometimes. And, yes I did clean my foot and needle. Yikes, this old fabric is shedding like a dog! I got the dental pic at a sewing trade show last year and I recommend it to everyone, it was only about $1 and well worth it, far better than any stiletto I've tried.
Progress
I love chain piecing - so satisfying.
Two of the three needed rows completed. I really like the chevron for it's pop of color.

I did not like the overly complicated pattern of the next paper pieced row in the directions so I used the same fabric provided and pieced a simple churn dash block. That's as far as I've gotten. I think I may need one more row before I can start assembly. I'll have to think on it.

Linking up to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times.

Don't forget the Blogaversary Giveaway. Click the link and leave a comment to be entered in the drawing. I'll draw the name on March 15.

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Your quilt is going to be gorgeous! Will you enter it in a show when finished? I love the tip about the dental tool. Does it matter if the handle is long or short? I think I have one here but it's a purse size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intrigued about your purse sized dental pic, whatever for? I think whatever size works for you would be great. I haven't entered a quilt in a show in a long time I just can't take the stress!

      Delete
  2. You are making great progress. I love the chevrons too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just about ready to start assembly so we'll see how that goes on this wonky project.

      Delete
  3. That's a great idea to use a dental pick! I have one and never thought to take it to my sewing room. Thanks for the tip. Your blocks are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, funny how we can see common objects differently sometimes. I use unwaxed dental floss in the kitchen too. It's better than twine for trussing a chicken.

      Delete
  4. Great progress! I bet you feel so good back working on this project! It's going to be wonderful! Thanks for the dental pick tip! I usually use a small bamboo skewer, but I like your dental pick idea better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That thing is sharp Angie but very useful in small areas.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful so far! Those little tiny triangles look perfect to me! And that bright pink (or red) in the churn dashes is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a red and black plaid in the churn dash blocks and I like it a lot too. The triangles came out pretty good after a lot of agonizing so all's weel so far. Moving on to try and fix a 15 yrs ago mistake next, wish me luck.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.