Thursday, February 19, 2015

Sewing Room Tour


My sewing room make-over is finally finished and I'm really excited to show it to you. In order to truly appreciate how awesome this is you might want to go over to the before post where I show what a disaster this was. (Avert Your Eyes) Did you go? See what I mean? Look how tidy and organized I am now.
Thread storage
A sewing station for my beloved, 25 year old Bernina. Those scrap bins are waiting for me to cut pieces down to size and put them into marked containers. The drawers on the right are a $10 yard sale find I hauled home about 10 years ago, lots of storage and fits under the windows. I only wish I had taken the time to paint it before I moved it upstairs. Too late now, it weighs a ton.
That chest fits perfectly under the windows and holds my embroidery machine, a Janome 350E. Next to it is my everyday piecing work horse the Janome 6600. I love this machine because of the built-in dual feed. The table came with it and works great in this space. A small rolling chest for notions is on the right. Lots of natural light in this room even on gloomy days.
I made sure that I didn't have to give up an inch of my design wall. I really need all of that space since most of the time I'm not sure where I'm going with a quilt design until I get it up on the wall. The ironing board stays up all the time and it's very convenient having it close to the sewing machine when I'm piecing. Just bring it down to eye level and swivel around to press.
My fabric! Out in the open where I can see it. Yikes! Was this ever a pain in the tushee. The whole reason I decided to reorganize was because the tiny closet was impossible and I had given up on the whole fabric storage thing altogether. It took THREE weeks to sort, press and fold. I was ruthless about what I kept. Three large, black trash bags of fabric were given away and still I am left with this hoard.
Now it's sorted by color and/or type (Civil War, Batik, 1930's etc) and larger pieces that might be backings or enough for the backgrounds for bigger projects have their own bins. Started projects have labeled boxes too so that I know exactly what I have ongoing and where all the parts are. No more searching for the rest of the red I was sure I had for that border, if you know what I mean.
My label maker sure got a workout! It was so satisfying to slap a label on those bins. January was a great time to decide to do this because all this organization stuff is on sale at the first of the year including the wire shelving.
If I were really being crazy I'd arrange everything in a color wheel kind of way. I just may do that once my exhaustion wears off.
Next post I'll show you the rest of the room - YES there's more to see! What do you think about the make-over so far?

Don't forget to click over to the Blogaversary Party post and leave a comment for you chance to win. 





 My thanks to all my readers/followers. You are the very best thing about this blog and I want to give you something to celebrate the time we have spent together.

This complete McKenna Ryan Art Quilt kit. Instructions and fabrics, everything you'll need to make this beautiful art quilt. The finished project measures 29 1/2" x 21". All you have to do to win is leave a comment at the blog party post (RIGHT HERE) and tell me what you favorite thing about quilting/blogging/whatever your hobby is. I'm interested in knowing what my readers are doing these days. You don't have to be a follower to win but of course I'd love it if you decided to follow my blog. I'll draw the winning name on March 15. So, if you've ever wanted to try a McKenna Ryan pattern now's your chance! Click on the link to leave a comment and be eligible to win.


Until next time,

28 comments:

  1. wow you have a great HUGE space to sew. and congrats on organizing it. looks great! My room is very tiny and I need to really start to purge
    to fit my frame in there. but I will do it. you have inspired me to purge on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The space does look huge I think because of the windows but it is just a corner of the converted attic. I think I'll measure and post the actual size. It's certainly a lot bigger than any space I've had in the past and the best part is I don't have to put everything away at the end of the day!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful and spacious area to create in! Thanks for sharing your creative space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if only I can keep it tidy and organized do you want to place any bets?

      Delete
  3. What I wouldn't do for a space like this !!!
    So inviting even when you may not be inspired. Thanks for the tour ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an embarrassment of riches especially after many. many years of sewing on the dinning room table after the kids went to bed!

      Delete
    2. Ah yes ... the dining room table after the kids went to bed ... I remember those days well ;)

      Delete
  4. Nice! I wanna come play in your creative corner! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the room for friends now that I've cleaned up so you would be welcome.

      Delete
  5. Wow!! What a great space! I have my supplies all over. I sew in our bedroom and would love a space devoted to my hobbies! When/if I ever do, I'll come back to this post for ideas!! Love all of the light, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before my kids left home and before we moved here I was in exactly the same spot as you. You never know what life will bring so we all just bloom where we are planted, right?

      Delete
    2. Patricia, you are so lucky to have such a dedicated sewing space. I have one corner of our family room, but it serves the purpose and I know when I go there I am going to sew! I absolutely love your give away, thanks.

      Delete
    3. Patricia, you are so lucky to have such a dedicated sewing space. I have one corner of our family room, but it serves the purpose and I know when I go there I am going to sew! I absolutely love your give away, thanks.

      Delete
    4. Believe me when I say I know how fortunate I am to have so much space after many years of cramped quarters.

      Delete
  6. You've done a fantastic job of reorganizing... and yes, I did click through to the before pictures :) I'll bet it feels wonderful to have everything easy to find and accessible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so relieved to be done with this project - now I can sew!

      Delete
  7. Great organization. I love that each machine has a place to stay. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that cute? Especially my beloved Bernina, she is the Dowager Queen of the sewing room.

      Delete
  8. Great job! Love the wire racks.. they really look nice. I have some shelves for projects, 100's of plastic containers :-), but like the uniformity of the wire shelving. Now you can find everything!!! Also agree on keeping projects together. I use strong plastic bags, or plastic baskets for each project. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the wire racks because I can see through them and keep the open feeling in the room. The clear boxes let me see the pretty colors, so lovely and just what we all adore about our fabric.

      Delete
  9. Wow this is an amazing transformation. I keep my fabric out in the open too, and I love it. It makes me smile every time I walk into the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too now I really am in my happy place!

      Delete
  10. This is like my third time checking out your "remodel"/cleanup! LOL!! Don't ya just love the space!! Thanks for sharing at my linky so I can return ya know five more times!! Love getting a peek into everyone's sewing spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val you are too funny! All these sewing studios, yours included are so inspiring let's get creating!

      Delete
  11. Wow! What an improvement! You must be thrilled with the results! Love your fabric storage solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started working in the space and I'm pretty happy with the results so far. Not sure how the fabric storage is going to work in the long run but I love being able to see the color all around me, it makes me smile.

      Delete
  12. Great room. I love all the light, can't get enough of that when sewing. My fabric is stacked on my shelves, started out all sorted and then I do a few quilts and it gets put back all mixed up and I give up keeping it sorted. Enjoy your new room. sewfabrics@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's just say the sewing room doesn't look this tidy very often! I do love this space and never dreamed I would have so much room to sew and create, I feel so lucky.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.