Monday, February 23, 2015

Sewing Room Tour (part two)

As promised we're back in my sewing space today to finish the tour. An organization reveal just wouldn't be complete without a before and after shot of a closet now would it? It looks innocent enough doesn't it? But history shows that most of us have skeletons of some sort in our closets and you are about to see mine...
The mayhem that started it all. My former fabric storage lack of organization! (hangs her head in shame)
TaDa!! The new, improved and completely organized closet. My books and craft closet. Perhaps you can tell from the picture that the main problem with this little closet is that it's built into a sloping wall space so that the back has an angle that takes up a lot of room making the upper portion unusable. That's why it really didn't work too well for fabric storage. But I was stubborn and persisted! I think this is a better use of the space. Now it holds my few bolts of muslin and interfacing and craft paints. I can actually see what I have!
To keep the books upright on the wire shelves I put them in boxes according to subject. I kept only those I really wanted and donated about 30 books to the local library. Hopefully some other quilter will find some inspiration in them.
Each box is clearly labeled so I can find what I'm looking for quickly. Some of those reference books I go to again and again for help with technique.
All those odd pieces of batting and a couple of large pieces are in the back corner but clearly visible.
A little hard to see but in this picture are bulky rulers hanging from 'S' hooks. The ends of these shelves are perfect for this. Having these visible is a bonus too.

Opposite the cutting table is a sitting area where I can do some hand sewing while taking advantage of the good lighting upstairs. Can I just say that this is also an excellent spot for an afternoon nap.
My hand constructed cutting table was built by a friend who is now deceased. I think of him often as I use it. It certainly has served me well. Tucked underneath are two re-purposed nightstands, more yard sale treasures which hold my machine embroidery supplies.

My corner of our converted attic measures 14ft by 11ft. I share with my husband's exercise equipment, the grand kid's toys and spare beds for the times when family visit. A goodly size by anyone's standards and I feel very fortunate to have it. For most of my life I sewed on the dinning room table after the kids were in bed and crammed my stuff under my bed so this is a real luxury and I know it. Thanks for taking a look it just tickles me to be able to share it with you.

Don't forget to click on the link for your chance to win my Blogaversary  Giveaway!!
Dogwood Lane Rambles Third Blogaversary Giveaway!!

Until next time,

16 comments:

  1. That was a lot of work but thoroughly worth it! I wish I had a closet to use in my sewing room! Repurposed furniture is so handy. I have two furniture pieces and like their history added to my room :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This closet is tiny but it does serve a good purpose and I think will be put to better use now. I don't know where I would be without yard sales, lol. my whole house is one big repurpose bonanza!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a well organized space, you are lucky to have such a nice space to sew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry, luckily the reorg is done and I can get to sewing.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing the rest of your room and I never thought about using the plastic containers for books! Now I like that idea! Everything looks so neat and organized now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been a long time coming Connie, now I can think straight in a tidier space.

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous space to create!!!! I have been a very bad blogger lately. But I sure am glad I stopped in tonight! Loved seeing your wedding photo, in a few posts back. So sweet.
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped in too. Life gets in the way of our leisure pursuits doesn't it? LOL You inspired me with your sewing room conversion a while back, I just knew I had to do something before my head exploded. I only wish I had some wall space to display something pretty but those sloping ceilings are a challenge.

      Delete
  5. what a great job you have done. I will be over for a sew play date! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice, I really need to organize my stuff too and I'm looking for ideas. Where did you get the wire shelves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found these shelves at Home Depot, they had four adjustable shelves which I liked at a price I could afford and are very sturdy. They were very easy to assemble too.

      Delete
  7. It looks great Patrica! Those type of sloping closet spaces are difficult to work with, but you have made great use of every inch! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to put paid to this project and get back to sewing! Now on to cleaning up the office - absolutely no reward there just a job that must be done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Afternoon Patrica, Well, you made me laugh out loud. The doors to your wardrobe look innocent enough and then when you opened them, I laughed because I thought of my wardrobe which stores my material. I have decided that we are so busy sewing that we don't have the time to tidy up, that is unless we make a concerted effort. George often says my sewing room looks like a 'bomb has hit it', I just say, that's the price of creativity..... of course that is not true. I think I will take a leaf our of your book and do a little tidying up.
    I have to tell you Patrica, you did a stirling job, your sewing room looks fabulous and I love the swizzle from the sewing machine to the ironing board..... perfectly positioned.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Dahpne, you just never know what evil lurks in the hearts of men ur women. This was a job I absolutely dreaded and it took f o r e v e r ! But now that it's done it's such a pleasure to go upstairs and work. I just haven't had much time to sew lately or to blog for that matter. Much too busy with family things. It's very nice to hear from you.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.