Monday, February 9, 2015

Rainbows, Unicorns & Quilts



Let’s start off with the rainbows and unicorns even though they happened at the end of the day not at the beginning. Still, they were the most amazing part of the day and I like to start off with a bang whenever I can.
 This rainbow greeted me when I came out of the market after doing some quick shopping. Isn’t it terrific? Really the largest and closest rainbow I’ve ever seen and lucky me I had my camera in the car because I had just been to a quilt show. (Don’t worry more about that later.) So I was super happy when I got in my car and hopped on the highway for the one hour plus drive home in a small drizzle. As I headed up the road I could tell I was headed closer to the rainbow and wished I could take more pictures because the colors were becoming more intense. I thought to myself, “Wow, I’m going to see the end of the rainbow, maybe even the pot of gold.” Here comes the unicorn part – as I drove along I realized that I was going to drive right through the end of the rainbow! That’s right, I passed right through the colors of the rainbow and for one brief second I was bathed in unicorn breath or pixie dust or whatever rainbow colors are made of. So amazing, I was gob smacked!!

After that story my whole reason for being on the road might seem like kind of a letdown but truly the rainbow was the icing on the cake. I was out and about attending the Folsom Quilt & Fiber Guild 30thAnnual Quilt Show. I love this show and make it my business to attend each year usually with my friend Jeannie. Jeannie let me down this time by choosing to sail around South America for two months instead, go figure. Instead of taking a million pictures I concentrated on quilts or techniques that seemed unusual or patterns that I haven’t seen before.

dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
Leaves (and more leaves) by Suzie Quinnell
dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
Here's a closeup of one of the leaves which as far as I could tell were ink drawn on fabric zentangle style.
dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
Storm at Sea in My Stash by Sylvia Earl
The arrow is pointing to the feature I most loved about Sylvia's beautiful quilt - the edge finish of piping and prairie points.
dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
Each prairie point was embellished using her machine's fancy stitches to make them extra special. I love details like this.
dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
Flower Arranging Class by Laurie Vatacich and her friend Doris
We don't see many 1930's style quilts any more even though these used to be all the rage a few years ago. This little quilt was so cute and some of the fabrics were original 30's fabrics.
dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
Streamers by Donna Dale
For the Civil War buffs and miniature fans out there, I have a place in my heart for both. This was so well done.
dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
Kaffe A La Mode by Lin Squires
Lin is a long arm quilter who has done quilting for a lot of my friends. The front of this quilt doesn't really convey what she's going for. It's not until you look at the back that Lin's true talent shines through.
dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
the back view of Kaffe A La Mode
Here's another amazing piece of quilting this time done on a regular sewing machine, not even a short arm or so called sit down quilting machine.
dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
Poppies by Jenny Lyon (front view)
Jenny does such amazing work and is a generous local teacher who shares her expertise. The front and back of this quilt were positive and negative images, both perfect and perfectly awesome.
dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
Poppies by Jenny Lyon (back view)
That's all of the quilt show for today. I have other quilts from the rest of the show for you to see in another post. Until then I hope you too can find the end of a rainbow.

If you're looking for the Grow Your Blog post you can find it here. 

Until next time,

8 comments:

  1. That rainbow is beautiful, I can't imagine driving thru it. Very special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty amazing, something I have never experienced before.

      Delete
  2. AND, it was a double rainbow, which shows up in your picture! The whole experience sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even notice that double rainbow until you pointed it out Pam how wonderful. That makes it even more special and doubly cool!

      Delete
  3. Starting my day with your rainbow too!! It's just beautiful isn't it! Enjoyed all the quilts shared too....so much wonderful work out that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more quilts to show you. I only took pictures this year of the ones that tickled my fancy instead of every single thing. the show was so crowded it was hard to get a good view of most of them.

      Delete
  4. What an experience to drive through that!! Thanks for sharing you gorgeous photo, plus the quilt show photos! You had an awesome day, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right I did have an awesome day and I'm so happy to share it. Thanks for stopping by Dogwood Lane.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.