Thursday, February 5, 2015

I'm Talking Kitchen Sinks

 It is possible to love a kitchen sink, why yes it is. I know because I LOVE mine!
Isn't she a beauty? Those of you who are long time readers know that over the summer we remodeled our kitchen putting in new floors, counters and a new sink. New readers can find out all about our DIY adventures in these posts: Pantry Renovation; Pantry Renovation part 2; Shut the Barn Door; I've Had a Facelift; It's about to Get Ugly; The Big Reveal.
You can see that a lot of my summer was consumed with down and dirty home improvement.  We took a break for our Alaska vacation and the holidays now I'm ready to share the rest of what we've been up to.
Kris @ Simplify posted this week that she's in the planning stages of a similar kitchen make over and I thought I'd share some of what I learned/did. We are always on a pretty strict budget so anytime I can save money I'm all over that. At the same time I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish and that's where that kitchen sink comes in. It was not cheap! In fact it cost a pretty penny and it was worth every dime. It's deep and wide and looks great. I bought a wire guard to protect the bottom from abuse. I'm glad I did because I saw what skillets and pans did to my son's sink.
Counters are another area where we decided to go with the best we could afford. These are quartz rather than granite because I know myself and what kind of housekeeper I am. I am not going to maintain a schedule of sealing granite twice a year, I'm just not that person. These are so easy to clean it's ridiculous. Plus, I just like the look of this better. The cost is about the same so my advise is to really think about how you will use and abuse your counters.
Sleek, clean and adds tons of light to this darkish kitchen.
What to do about tired, dried out cabinets? We could not afford new cabinets and these were in great shape. They just looked a little tired. Painting wasn't an option because of the style of the house in general so I came up with a great and inexpensive solution.
Dried out wood - what a mess.
First I scrubbed down those cabinets really well. Years of kitchen grime came off. Next I hand rubbed every single wood surface in the kitchen with Old English Scratch Cover for dark wood. 


This took me about three days and a lot of elbow grease but the results were amazing, it looks as if we bought new cabinets. 
I'll know better than to let them get so dried out in future.

See that hardware? New handles can make a world of difference in the appearance of the kitchen but it can be really expensive and it can be hard to find exactly what you want. I found those long handles at Ikea for a close out price of $1/each and snapped them up. They're in an oiled bronze finish which I love but drawer pulls to match were hard to come by at a price I could afford. Target had the style I liked in a six pack for $12, but they were chrome. Spray paint to the rescue! Two coats of bronze spray paint especially for metal and you would never know that they used to be shiny chrome. I spent less than $50 on new hardware. If I had gone the easy route it would have cost me up to $300!

Next post I'll show you how I redid the kitchen table and some storage ideas. 

Until next time,   

If you're looking for the Grow Your Blog post you can find it here.

14 comments:

  1. I love my quartz counters--very easy maintenance with a stone look and feel. Yay to no grout lines too. Your wood and cabinet makeovers look terrific. I bought handles at Target too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those quartz counters where a good decision for me too. I hate grout!! It's amazing what a little paint will do transform something not quite right isn't it?

      Delete
  2. It ALL looks terrific! Congrats on such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, it took a lot of saving and planning and elbow grease on our part but we are so happy with the result.

      Delete
  3. Awww...your remodel looks wonderful. I am about to embark on a bath remodel and am excited and not excited at the same time. LOL I've had such a good time visiting all of the folks from the GYB party. jojohall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on the bathroom remodel JoJo. We did that two years ago. Once you start on a house it's a never ending deal isn't it? I'm always glad I did it once I'm finished tho so I always have to keep telling myself it's worth it. I only wish I had the money to back up my vision, I wonder what that would be like? Probably not quite as satisfying.

      Delete
  4. Just hoped over from What Happens at Grandma's and I love your kitchen sink! I really love it -- the idea of being able to wash any size pan or roaster in the sink -- I sure am envious! And my own kitchen cupboards need what you did and I am going to try it out. Thanks! Glad I stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sink is a dream come true! I have to laugh at the things that make me happy LOL. A sink makes me joyful imagine what a million bucks would do!

      Delete
  5. You did a great job on your kitchen! I agree with you on sinks! We remodeled in 2001. I chose side by side deep sinks while squirming at the price. Little did I know that this feature would be the most appreciated in the entire room!
    I paid lots more than you did for cupboard hardware and yours are much more attractive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too squirmed over the price but I sure am glad I decided to bite the bullet, when we think about it this is the feature that's used twenty times a day in a kitchen and should be exactly what we want. I say economize somewhere else. I'm so glad I thought of painting that hardware, what cheap fix to turn something inexpensive into something nice. Thanks for the compliments.

      Delete
  6. Love, love, love the kitchen remodel! And that new sink. Thanks for the tip on the Old English. I didn't realize it would do such a great job on renewing the cabinets. I have the same problem with dry wood on our old kitchen cabinets. I'm going to give it a whirl! I like you new drawer pulls too. The quartz countertop is also very nice! Good choices, and everything looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie you're so kind. I first wash the cabinets down with white vinegar and baking soda to get off the grime. The Old English got into the pores and darkened the wood somewhat which was what I was going for. It also add some much needed oil to the dry wood. It was a lot of rubbing tho so they wouldn't be oily. Hope this helps your cabinets if you decide to give it a try.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, that sink was the best decision! Have a great day.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.