Monday, January 12, 2015

Sharp As a Pin

New year, new beginnings. I always think of the new year as bright and shiny, full of possibilities. So I'm starting off my new sewing year with some brand new pins to celebrate and taking stock of what I'd like to accomplish this year. 
Last year I was determined to greet each day expecting good and it was a wonderful exercise in positivity.
This year I'm going to focus on the now.
This is much harder for me than you might think. I'm a planner - a LONG range planner and staying in the now can be very challenging for someone like me. I can be so busy thinking about the future that I forget to enjoy the day to day pleasures. 
Just because I'm turning over a new leaf and living in the moment (raise of eyebrow) doesn't mean I don't have plans. I can't change over night people!
The sewing room chalkboard is FULL of plans!
I organized my sewing space to free my mind and I'm ready to get some of my long term UFOs off my list. First up are the Alaskan wallhangings I started in October. You know how it is, life and the holidays got in the way but I'm going to finish and gift these ASAP. I have them sandwiched and ready to quilt.


Next up is the oldest UFO in my closet. I found it while doing a minor clean out and this baby is a minimum of 20 years old!! Yes, that's two exclamation points there.
This is one of my first ever quilt projects made from an Elenore Burns pattern and some of my own layout. Get a look at that batting would ya. It's been sitting in the back of the closet all basted and all ready to go for who knows how long? I kind of still love it.
I remember I was trying out Seminole piecing. Not bad really for a newbie. I'm going to go ahead and quilt it as is as a practice piece. Finished is better than perfect and get it out of the closet.

Trying to keep to my live in the moment plan I'll think about future projects later. As Scarlet O'Hara would say, "Tomorrow is another day."
Linking up to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times. Be sure to visit and see the amazing projects that other creative quilters are working on.

Until next time,

11 comments:

  1. Getting new pins is like getting a new box of crayons when we were kids. I love a fresh pack :)

    Congratulations on your new motto to live in the moment. I know that would be a hard one for me because I have to plan everything as well.

    You have uncovered some nice UFOs, it will be fun to see how you finish them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Xmas quilt is a real lurker, we'll have to see how it goes. This live in the moment thing is going to be a real challenge I can tell ya.

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking about new pins too! Your Alaskan projects look great already. I'm a fan of the wreath one too :)
    Long range planning is beyond my tiny brain. Good luck living in the moment, something we all should remember to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten how nice some really sharp pins are, go ahead and get some new ones you'll be glad you did. Sometimes it's the little things that make all the difference.

      Delete
  3. It is always nice to buy some new supplies! I need new rulers!! Have fun sewing!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. sometimes it is fun to visit an "old friend" in the sewing room. and many times the completion of that project feels good to the soul.
    have fun. it looks great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna finish that old UFO Christmas quilt I promise but of course the sewing room reno has gotten in the way. Isn't that what always happens?

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to see your Alaskan piece quilted and it was neat to see your 20 year old UFO! I think your Seminole piecing looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.