Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Avert Your Eyes!

Maybe you're like me and just can't help yourself. Maybe you MUST look when you see a train wreck in progress. If you're that person then this is the blog post for you!
Yep, here it is in all it's horrible glory, my sewing room. It's a sewing space really and I truly love it. This space is at the top of the house in a converted attic. Really one large room with many different functions. To the left of this picture is my husband's exercise equipment which he uses every day as well as a sofa/convertible bed for extra sleeping when the family are here and a children's play space complete with small slide and toy box.
I've claimed the space with the windows for my sewing area and even on cloudy days I have lots of wonderful light. 

But, I'm sure you can tell from these pictures that things have gotten out of hand! It is messier than usual because we've already started tearing things down in preparation for an overhaul, but still!!
I moved into this space about 12 years ago and haven't changed a thing since. I need to make some adjustments although I think the sewing machines are in the right spots for me I just don't have enough storage and I can't find fabric when I need it without an all day hunt. There is NO wall space due to the slope of the ceiling and I'm reluctant to give up my wonderful, big design wall which I use constantly.

There is one small closet where I currently keep fabric but it just isn't working for me any more.
I think you can see why! There's a sloped ceiling in this closet so that's why things can't go higher. 
Now you've seen my horror and my shame. I've nothing left to hide. I have a plan and I've made a complete mess in which absolutely no creating can take place until things are cleaned up and sorted. You'll just have to stay tuned and see what I come up with to tame this disaster.

Until next time,

15 comments:

  1. Hang in there - may your spirits be lifted through this trying time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny, I'll try to keep my spirits up!

      Delete
  2. I finally got my sewing room organized. When we first moved in last July, I claimed the third bedroom upstairs... but with baby #2 on the way, my sewing area has moved to the basement guest bedroom. It feels so good to have it functional finally! Good luck with your organizing! I can't wait to see your progress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely reason to have to move. Hope you're feeling well. You'll be glad to have the creative space all your own such a luxury. This is the first space I've ever had to call my own and I so enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. Hahaha that is a good reason to avert the eyes! Obviously overhauling a space used every day makes things tragic for awhile. Hope the disaster portion of the project soon passes. You guys did great on your kitchen so I'm confident your plans are well made. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Annie I certainly need it right about now as I wade through the mess that has become my sewing room. What the heck was I thinking?

      Delete
  4. Wow, I love your sewing room!! I can understand your frustration with the fabric organization though and can't wait to see what you come up with. I would love to have a huge design wall like you do. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying everything in my power to keep that design wall - the best part of that room in my opinion. But, it's on the only wall so where to put shelves for fabric? Stay tuned for our solution .

      Delete
  5. I love your space! As you know Patrica, we remodeled the sewing room space last March. I actually enjoyed packing and decluttering everything before the contractors came. I found things some beloved fabrics I had forgotten about, and some I wondered what I must have been thinking about to have purchased. I also was relentless with the decluttering of books and patterns I know I will never read or make. It was a reality check. I gave away so much as I packed, and even more when I started to put things back in the new space. Even now I'm still moving things around to better fit my needs. I keep a give-away bag by the door, and decluttering continues. I know you are going to love planning your new space. One suggestion, if you can make your surface or desktop for your sewing machines deeper near the windows, do that. My new sewing cabinets are just not deep enough and now I have to pull them away from the wall a bit when I'm binding larger quilts. Have fun finding forgotten treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips Angie. I love what you did with your space and although I'm not planning anything as ambitious I am being pretty ruthless about weeding things out. I have many books to donate and any fabric that no longer speaks to me is being donated! I'm not getting any new furniture so I can't make my space deeper - more the pity. I agree with you there a deep sewing table is dream that will be deferred.

      Delete
  6. What a great sewing area! It will feel so good to go in there and get sewing again once you have "tamed" it! I wish you a 'speedy process'😁😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is slow going Peggy and every fabric I pick up I think of a project I could use it with. Oh my goodness this could take a while!

      Delete
  7. I've been in that same situation many times and it is truly difficult to be creative when things aren't organized to some degree. It sounds like you have a plan and I look forward to seeing how you tackle and tame your sewing space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm itching to get to the sewing part especially after getting reacquainted with all my beautiful stash! But I must keep my nose to the grindstone and fold, fold, fold!

      Delete
  8. Wow..patricia... what an amazing space!!! I can see why you'd be so messy tho... all that space tocreate...the sky's the limit...well, the roof anyway! I have a bedroom, but since my husband wont' allow me to do any kind of "redecoration"...I am into those plastic stack of drawers on wheels so I can move it from storage in the closet to near my work area. I have a problem with "out of sight, out of mind"...but these are working great. I am watching for them to go on sale again and get 2 more. I used to be really messy when I scrapbooked... just far to many otpions there, and I'd pull out everything I thought I'd use or might like etc...and then make the pages and not clean up until I was done with several pages! Wastes to much time to clean up after each one! Looking forward to seeing what you creat with your room!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.