Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Not Your Grandma’s Bourbon Pumpkin Bread

I've been absent from my blog for a little while attending to family matters so I thought I would reward you all with a recipe from the archives. It is the time of year after all for all things pumpkin. You can't walk down any aisle in any store without PUMPKIN screaming at you. When did this become a thing? Anyway, as the title implies this is NOT your sweet Granny's recipe for pumpkin bread. That is unless your Granny was like mine and liked her bourbon neat and was not sweet at all! I could tell you stories but that would be more like a soap opera than a recipe so...
dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com

Don't worry about the bourbon in this recipe affecting the kiddos, the alcohol cooks away and you're left with the smoky, sweet flavor that cuts through what can sometimes be overwhelming pumpkin in most pumpkin bread recipes.


Not Your Grandma’s Bourbon Pumpkin Bread
Makes 2 8X4 inch loaves or 1 GIANT 9X5 inch loaf

1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup melted butter
¼ cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
2 cups pureed pumpkin

3 cups white flour
1 tsp ground cloves
1 ¼ tsp cinnamon
1 ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp allspice
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped nuts, whatever nut you like (I like pecans)

⅓ cup bourbon (You could leave out the bourbon and substitute with vanilla but don't use 1/3 cup of vanilla for Peete's sake!)

  1. Preheat the oven to 350*F. In a large bowl, combine the sugars, pumpin, eggs, butter and oil. Beat until smooth, about a minute.

  1. In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices. Use a whisk to mix these together thoroughly. Combine the wet and dry mixtures and beat until smooth. Stir in the bourbon and beat until it is incorporated.
  2. Scrape the batter into greased pans, filling no more than ¾ full. If you make just one large loaf this will take a LONG time to bake! I sprinkle mine with raw sugar before baking, I like the way it makes the loaf look and I love the sweet crunch.
  3. Bake in the center of the pre-heated oven for 65 to 75 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. (TIP -  I use a piece of uncooked spaghetti as a tester)  The top will be crusty and have a crack of some kind. Let cool for about 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.  Wrap with plastic wrap to store at room temperature. This is better the next day but who can wait??    


dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
Is this not a gorgeous loaf of deliciousness? See how the raw sugar adds sparkle?
I love to toast slices and slather them with butter. I think this is called gilding the lily and yes slather is a real word.
Those who know me well know that I do take after my Grandma in a few ways - I also like my bourbon neat!

Linking to Simple Saturdays Blog Hop 
 
Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.