Monday, November 17, 2014

Alaskan Inspiration

 You didn't think I went all the way to Skagway, wandered around this wonderful quilt store crammed full of treasures and bought nothing? Of course you didn't! I would lose my quilter's membership card if I did a thing like that.
dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
I came home with Alaskan inspired fabrics which I'm pretty sure could only be found up north and batiks which spoke to me of the colors I was seeing all around me on our trip.
Remember the totem art that surrounded us in Ketchikan? I really wanted to recreate the feel of that and found just the thing to help me at Embroidery Library using their Native American Creation designs.
dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
Let's see how well I can interpret these totem designs in fabric.
First a rough sketch of my idea. I'm planning two or three small wall hangings in earth, sky and water color changes featuring the animals we saw on our trip. Speaking of which, what process do you use to plan a project? Do you sketch it out, EQ 8 or whatever number it's up to now? Or do you just wing it?
dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com


dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
Eagle
dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
Bear
dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
Add caption
This looks pretty static right now, I hope the quilting will add a lot to the overall design.
dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com

dogwoodlanerambles.blogspot.com
The second color way is moving along. See, I have actually been spending some time in the sewing room along with all the other things that have been going on.

Linking up to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times for the first time in a while and looking forward to hearing from you about your design process. If you want to know more about my Alaskan adventures follow the tag: Alaskan Cruise.

Until next time,
P.S. If you left a comment in the last month and I have not answered, I apologize. My laptop died and I had an awful time retrieving data so I pretty much gave up on the reply thing for the past month. I hope to keep up now with a brand new, BLUE laptop. Snazzy!

6 comments:

  1. congratulations on moving forward on a creative project all your own. The mauve hanging is simply lovely. I think I have a similar method to you. I find something I want to incorporate into my work, then if I have to I even learn a new skill (like hand embroidery-yikes!) to get her done. Seam ripping is a big part of my method! Tried EQ and it was definitely not intuitive enough for me, plus it was a fairly primitive edition...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greta, I used to use EQ5 but I've fallen behind in upgrades and just can't afford it so it's back to pencil and paper for me. Rarely does the finished project turn out exactly like the sketch, in fact I would say never as I change things a lot once it hits the design wall. Like you I often have to learn a new technique in order to achieve what I have in my mind and a LOT of reverse sewing happens. Right now machine quilting is my challenge. Thanks for stopping by Dogwood Lane do come on over again.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I'm a pencil and paper gal mostly. I should use graph paper, truly, to help with MATH ...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried using graph paper Annie but I only got confused so it didn't help me at all. I would be lost without my calculator and use it constantly. My high school geometry teacher would feel so vindicated.She told me I would need this stuff some day.

      Delete
  3. You really got some beautiful fabric on your trip Patricia! Your totem pole design is really neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The design process is moving along and who wouldn't be inspired by beautiful fabric and spectacular scenery? Thanks for hosting Linky Tuesday and being such a wonderful quilty example.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.