Friday, September 5, 2014

What Am I Looking At?

I don't blame you for asking. After all, isn't this supposed to be a quilting, cooking, gardening, country living blog? My day at the Crocker Art Museum in Sacramento started out to be about quilts I swear! Chris and I planned a day centered around this:
But, they wouldn't let me take one single picture to show you. Not One! You'll just have to take my word for it when I tell you that there were some wonderful old quilts on display from very early Colonial examples through the Victorian era. My favorite was an embroidered crazy quilt which must have been a labor of many, many years with exquisite stitching. I only wish I could show you *alas* and *alack*. 

What I can show you is the gallery next door to the quilt display where some very modern art was on show. This juxtaposition made no sense to me but what do I know?
I thought this sculpture was really interesting and kinda scary. I guess you can tell I'm no art critic. Here's the explanation:
I loved this work because it reminded me of a quilt block of course!
Can't you just imagine this done in batiks? Here's the artist statement for it:
I'd love to show you more of our museum day but at this exact point the camera batteries died. Probably a good thing I wasn't able to take pictures in the quilt gallery if I could only take four shots anyway. What the day taught me is that I need to brush up on my art appreciation before I venture to the Crocker again. I do like to know what I'm looking at, what about you?

Until next time,




2 comments:

  1. Some interesting pieces for sure. Love the Andy Warhol quote...so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know quite a few artists who will tell you the same.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.