Monday, August 4, 2014

Baby Quilts From Panels

I'm sure you've noticed that there's been precious little sewing going on around here the last two months. Lots of good reasons for this of course - new grand baby, new kitchen, summer fun in general. However I did manage to pop in to my Nellies meeting mostly because it was my turn to lead the monthly activity and get some quilting in. Yippee for me!

The projects we worked on were donation quilts for children using polar fleece throws from Ikea. These throws are the backing and self binding for each little quilt with no batting needed. The size of each fleece is 51 X 67" so they're a nice manageable size to quilt through and can be used for anything from a baby quilt to a lap size quilt. At only $3.99/@ a real bargain for our Christmas Basket donations this year. 
Jeannie and I were in charge of this activity and so we purchased about 20 fleece and put together kits which included a child friendly panel and border fabrics. Some of the panels were appropriate for boys, girls and babies. We tried to cover all age and gender groups. The fleece come in a variety of colors although the only pictures I seem to have are of the white ones.
Here's a panel I finished in about an hour with a turquoise fleece which will be cut to about 1/2 inch larger than the quilt, then I'll do some simple quilting and the back will be brought around to the front to create a binding which I'll stitch by machine. Simple, quick, washable, warm and really cute.
Here's a pieced flannel baby quilt which I'll finish the same way. So warm and cuddly.

If you're anything like me you struggle to get those purchased panels straight. They just are not always printed straight and the more we cut the worse it gets. Here's a video from the Fat Quarter Shop that really helped me with that pesky problem.


So I haven't been in the sewing room as much as I would like but I have been getting a little bit done with needle and thread and I hope to be spend more time soon doing what I love most. Linking up to Design Wall Monday for the first time in over a month, *sigh*.

Until next time,

1 comment:

  1. Love the deal on the fleece! Thanks for sharing the FQS tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.