Wednesday, July 23, 2014

State Fair Quilts

 So, last time I was telling you about our family visit to the California State Fair and I left you just as I was entering the quilt exhibit hall. The crafts exhibit halls at the fair grounds are airy and well lit, a beautiful space and I was surprised at how few quilts were on show. Those that were displayed were all exceptional. Unfortunately, as was true with all the exhibits throughout the fair the signage was terrible - tiny and unreadable. I have no idea who made these beautiful quilts so I'll just show them and say to the makers that you all did wonderful work.

I believe that this was the grand prize winner but as you can see the signs are very small so I can't swear to it. The big surprise is that this quilt is entirely done by machine embroidery in the hoop!  Here's a close-up. Hours and hours of work and meticulous attention went into this beauty. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the embroidery machine does all the work when creating something like this.
 There were about 30 quilts or maybe less on display and I took pictures of those that caught my fancy. See if you agree.
I'm a sucker for a simple pattern done well.
Old trucks are all the rage in pictorial quilts right now and this one is done particularly well.
I believe this is a Laundry Basket Quilts pattern which mixes batiks and traditional fabrics, I love the look of this combination.
Speaking of batiks hows this for a twist on tradition? Such a cool modern vibe on the traditional basket quilt.
My secret's out, I seem to be drawn to batiks right now.
Another simple pattern done well but the real star of this quilt is the quilting itself.
Absolutely breathtaking quilting with each zigzag section quilted differently and all the white areas quilted differently. Not a bed quilt but a show piece for sure. Stunning!
This applique quilt was HIGH in the air. So cheerful. I love the varied backgrounds, I wonder who Tilly is? One lucky girl I'm thinking.
Just to give you some idea of what I mean by HIGH in the air.
Zooming in, don't you love the wonky set of these applique blocks? That's what sets this quilt apart from the rest.
That's it for our State Fair quilt show. Hope you enjoyed some quilty inspiration and congratulations to all the fair participants.

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. THANKS sharing...I so enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always interesting to see what's going on in other parts of the country right? I like to see State Fair stuff especially because different states have really different styles I find.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for showing some of the quilts from the state fair. Too sad that the signage is so small, and quilts are hung so high. I'm intrigued by the machine embroidery quilts with the feathered stars---and wonder who digitized the designs. It's gorgeous! All the quilts were wonderful, but that one especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the feathered star quilt was truly amazing but I don't think many folks realize the work that goes into a piece like that. Thanks for doing the research on it and as I emailed you I'm almost certain that it was digitized by HoopSisters.com. The sad/bad part is that their design like this are only available through a dealer BOM for at least 2 or 3 years before they go on sale at their web site.

      Delete
  3. Only 30 quilts, huh? Doesn't seem like many. Thanks for the pics! I like batiks and traditional fabrics mixed too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it weird that a state as large as California would have such a poor showing? As far as I could tell the quilts that were there were mostly from the Sacramento area too nothing form the rest of the state, very disappointing. They need to do some outreach to represent our wonderful, diverse state better.

      Delete
  4. What amazing quilts, although I have never quilted I can certainly appreciate a good piece of work and they are all lovely. That zigzag quilt is extraordinary and must have taken so long to think up the different designs in each area, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the creativity needed to come up the designs on that zigzag quilt. I'm glad you enjoyed the virtual quilt show.

      Delete
  5. All nice quilts. I haven't made one in the hoop yet but I have heard they can be challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I participated in the a BOM Hoop Sisters class several years ago that lasted an entire year but I never did finish my project. The main problem for me was that I was still working then and the class was over and hour drive each way for me so quite a time commitment. I ran out of steam about nine months in. I'll have to look at that project and see if I can salvage it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.