Friday, July 11, 2014

Cookie Goes to Jail and Someone Has a Birthday

I may be spending all my time indoors slaving away but the critters on Dogwood Lane are going about their business and getting into a fair amount of mischief as a result. It has been unbelievably hot and egg production is way down. The hens are spending most of their time trying to stay cool by laying around in the deep shade. All except Cinnamon and Cookie, those two took a notion to go broody and commandeer as many of their sister's eggs as possible and sit on two nests all day and night!
Cinnamon looking all innocent before the broody incident.
Cookie on the left trying to avoid her mug shot!
Each day when I would go out to collect eggs they would BITE, growl and hiss at me. I had to wear my leather gloves to pick them up and evict them from the premises. ENOUGH! Those two are going to jail!

Having a hen go brooding is a bad idea for number of reasons. If I had a working farm it would be great to have some dedicated hens who wanted to be moms, it would eliminate the need for incubators and brood lights and all the fuss that goes with hatching and raising chicks. Remember last year at this time when I allowed Mrs. Gold to hatch a clutch of eggs? You can read about that here and here. But I don't have a rooster anymore ( RIP Silent Bob ) so no fertile eggs for them to hatch and I already have 15 chickens, I DO NOT need/want any more. 

During the time that these hens are all hormonal and broody they only leave the nest to eat and drink once a day so they loose weight and don't lay eggs. It can be extremely stressful for them with no pay off at the end. If they had fertile eggs the chicks would hatch after 21 days and mom would go about her mommy business but these girls could sit forever and just waste away. So, off to the clink they go. They have to be on a wire floor with no nesting material in sight, uncomfortable and no eggs for them to obsess over. 

We have a separate area that we call the hospital wing which is fenced off from the main hen yard, that's where we set up the jail. I left the gate open so my miscreants can have visitors.  Every couple of days I let them out to see what they will do. If they run right back to the nest and sit down it's back to jail they go. Cinnamon stayed in her cell for 5 days before she gave up. Cookie is still in solitary. I feel bad for her but this really is for her own good.

We've been so busy that we almost forgot to celebrate a birthday. Our darling granddaughter Paige and our fur ball River share the same birthday. How could I forget you ask? Well, you may remember that we had a new grand baby in there and the whole kitchen thing. So before I forget again - Happy Birthday River!

River at 8weeks
My gorgeous girl!

I'm back to the massive clean up. Hope your summer is going great.

Until next time,

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow Patrica! I feel bad for the chickens but I understand the discipline. That is why, well one of the reasons why, I can't have chickens. My husband and I talked about it my heart can't take when the hens stop laying :(

    River is beautiful! Happy Birthday to all!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry when these hens stop laying nothing bad happens to them this just becomes the chicken retirement home lol!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! Chicken prison! Hilarious! River is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River has grown into a pretty girl hasn't she? I can't believe she's two already where does the time go?

      Delete
  3. chicken prison- too funny! happy birthday River and Paige. the years look good on you River. my birthdays are not so kind. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think after we reach a certain age we ladies get to stop counting but River doesn't mind and besides she has a loyal following on Facebook!

      Delete
  4. I learned something new today! Didn't know that about chickens....I enjoyed your post today. River is a good looking dog. (He has kind eyes)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River is such a sweet girl, very loyal and a love bug. I know she really wants to a lap dog but she's too darn big! She sneaks into my office every morning (not allowed in the back of the house) and tries to crawl in my lap as I type. If my hubby is not around I let her stay for a while for her morning cuddle (bad mom)!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.