Friday, June 27, 2014

I've Had A Face Lift!

I'll bet that got your attention. Not on me silly, on my kitchen! While I was in San Diego playing with the babies I thought I would have a little work done. Well, a lot of work really. We've been contemplating this renovation for a number of years and saving our pennies and nickles and dimes. It just happened that the contractor's schedule coincided with the baby schedule and I had to leave which meant that Chris was here on his own to endure the brunt of remodel hell.

In keeping with the face lift theme I'm posting lots of those before pictures showing all the jowls, wrinkles and warts that the surgeon will be miraculously removing.
No doubt about about it  - that's ugly!
The overall theme of the old kitchen is BROWN! Brown everything, I guess the original owners didn't want the dirt to show or they really loved brown. As you can see every once in a while someone threw in a flower, also brownish. 
Have I mentioned how much I hate stainless steel sinks?  Don't get offended if you love yours, I just can't stand the noise and the water marks and the calcium deposits. Can't wait to see this baby go. I have a new, extra deep porcelain sink going in that I can bleach to clean it up and keep it shiny. 
 
Cabinets will stay. Peeled the old wallpaper behind the refrigerator which had been painted over.
All this brown tile will be replaced with quartz counter tops. After extensive research I decided on quartz over granite for the durability and ease of maintenance. I like the look better and let's face it I'm just not going to seal granite and keep it up the way it's recommended to, ease of use is the way to go for me.
New quartz counter for breakfast bar.
Now on to the floor. Eeek! This white vinyl will be replaced with tile in a slate look. Wait until you see the transformation you won't believe it. We have to go with a hard surface because of the animals and people who traipse through here on a daily basis and because of the fire hazard posed by the wood stove which is a major source of heat in winter. Just look at the burn marks on the old floor!
The new floor will extend into the entry way to give a unified look since all the rooms are connected. The flooring also goes into the mud room area and a small utility 1/2 bath. Quite a lot of floor area to cover.
The entry looking into the kitchen. (They must have had a fire sale on mud brown tile when they built this house because it's in my master bathroom too!)
That about wraps up the before surgery pictures. I told you I was going to show you warts, wrinkles and all. Now when I show you the finished project you can truly appreciate the transformation. Just like those before and after nose job photos on Stars Without Makeup.

Until next time,

8 comments:

  1. You kept me in "stitches" throughout this entire post.

    This was a huge project but fortunate that you "had" to be some place else. I look forward to seeing the AFTER photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately Jeanna I did not get to miss out on the clean up from the 'surgery', that is still ongoing. The entire house is coated in a layer of fine dust and of course we cannot forget the painting, who would want to miss out on the painting? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an extensive project. Good time to be away! We have quartz countertops and love them. Very easy to clean, no worries about hot things. We redid our kitchen about ten years ago and the counters look the same. Boy, that is a lot of flooring. It will look great all unified!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you're good experience with quartz over the long term as this is a huge investment for us and I agonized over the decision. I was particularly worried about putting hot pans on it as the island is the resting place for the oven and stove so happy to hear that it has held up over time. It is so easy clean that I'm in heaven right now even though the kitchen is not yet fully functioning.

      Delete
  4. Wow huge undertaking but will be so worth the effort in the end.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kitchen is already looking so much lighter and brighter and I'm thrilled with the new counters!

      Delete
  5. I love seeing before and after photos, so now you've created a bit of a cliff-hanger for me. :-) Looking forward to the "after" post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Kristi you know there will be much more to this story I love before and after pictures too!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.