Thursday, May 29, 2014

Shut the Barn Door

Remember last Thanksgiving day when we decided to tear down the wet bar in our kitchen at the same time I was basting the turkey? It looked like this on Thanksgiving morning.
A week later the new pantry was finished and has been a wonderful addition to the kitchen. 

You can read about the whole project Part 1 and Part 2 and Part 3. BUT... that wall is too light and I just could not find a stain or treatment that would make it match the rest of the wood in the kitchen. I hope you can tell from this picture that the walls in this room are clad in reclaimed barn wood. Old, faded, weathered and truly awesome barn wood. This kind of wood isn't something you can buy at Home Depot. This is wood you have to get from a falling down, nobody wants it anymore barn and I just didn't have one of those nor did I know anyone else who did. Until I started thinking the tiny back bathroom which only has a toilet and a sink and which we hardly ever use might need a paint job. So I go into that tiny bathroom and what do I see? Smack me on the forehead! Barn wood! That little bathroom had a chair rail of the stuff. I told you we hardly ever use this bathroom and so this treasure has been overlooked for six months while I pulled my hair out trying to figure out a solution to the glaring wall problem.
Before Chris could even blink (or say no) I started ripping out that wood. In this picture you can see where the chair rail was I was too excited to take a before picture. We had to take out the toilet to get to all of it.
Up on the kitchen wall it went before you could say Bob's your uncle! 
I LOVE that wall now. It blends exactly with the rest of the kitchen and no longer sticks out like a sore thumb. Here's my favorite piece of the whole project.
There's a giant knot hole behind this rusted piece of tin. Some person from the past hammered over it to cover it up and it has withstood the test of time and weather. Just awesome. I'm not putting the whole thing back together because there are more changes coming that I'll tell you about soon. In the meantime I have to go prep that teeny bathroom for painting. Thank goodness the builders of this house had the foresight to use up their left over barn wood in that little space rather than throw it on the waste heap. And for goodness sake how long do you think it would have taken me to open my eyes and see what was right in front of me all along?

Until next time,

13 comments:

  1. What a perfect solution! I love it when I discover things that have been right before my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing what is right in front of us is often the hardest thing of all in most circumstances don't you agree?

      Delete
  2. LOL that you had forgotten the bathroom had barn wood in there! The pantry looks great and the tin patch is just the perfect prim touch.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was laughing at myself too. The funny thing is that my whole family missed it for months. I'm so glad I finally opened my eyes.

      Delete
  3. How fortuitous! I thought the kitchen looked great before but I can see the difference now. I still love that pantry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pantry is great but it just wasn't quite right and now I'm so happy with it. You know how you get an idea and just can't let it go? I drive my poor husband crazy sometimes I'm sure.

      Delete
  4. Serendipity! Looks terrific. Glad only a small amount was needed to cover that sore thumb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, there were VERY few little pieces left, we just sqeeked by but I told Chris I know it will work cuz I'm a quilter and I can tell I have enough to make it! LOL

      Delete
  5. Love it! When I was a kid, we saved the lids to veggie cans when we opened them, because the woodpeckers would peck holes in the barn, the chicken coop, the house, the outhouse, the garage, (catching on yet?).... They were destructive little buggers. My folks would tack the lids over the holes and paint them the same color (as the house) the barn was just wood colored. If the picture above is accurate, the barn was probably painted red at one time:) Do you have wood-peckers around?
    Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool that you remember that. That piece of rusted tin is my favorite thing about the wall and I worked to put it in a prominent place and yes I do believe that the wood came from an old red barn.We do have woodpeckers around and I caught one pecking on my house last week!

      Delete
  6. very nice. I love it! it is funny how sometimes things are right in front of you but you cant see.......I have that issue with quilting A LOT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I'm just brain dead I swear! But at least I catch on eventually, USUALLY!

      Delete
  7. That's a wonderful redo! Having a pantry like that is a huge improvement. Old barn wood is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.