Monday, May 12, 2014

Ready For Baby June

We are so ready for Baby June to get here the anticipation is killing us! Her Mama is over this pregnancy thing that's for sure. I've booked my flight and I'll be joining the family on June first just to be sure that I'll be available whenever our little June bug decides to make her appearance. Even her big sister is anxious to see her, we'll see how long that lasts, LOL.


In the mean time look what I've finished.


All that worry and self doubt about the quilting where for absolutely nothing. This baby quilt came out super cute. 



My Janome 6600 has a couple of automatic free motion quilting stitches which I tried out on the larger areas. While I was doing it I hated it because it looked so ugly to my eye. i wanted it to be more orderly. But now that it's been washed and fluffed I kinda like it. I don't know if I'll use it again but it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I did a curly meander around all the embroideries and that came out great, then a random loopy in the borders.



I LOVE the polka dot binding and I tried something new with the binding I want to show you. I used the lettering feature of my sewing machine to sign the binding before I sewed it on. I saw this on Pinterest and decided to give it a try. What an easy, quick and permanent way to label a quilt!



A little hard to read in this picture -  it says "Made for you by your Grammy Patrica 2014"



Since I was sewing it entirely by machine I sewed it to the back side and folded it over to the front. I like to sew my binding on by machine for baby quilts since I figure they'll be getting a lot of washing and the binding will hold up better.



All sewn down nice and tidy. A lot of firsts in this quilt. First time I've used the free motion features on this sewing machine, first time I've used a fleece backing and no batting for a quilt, first time for a signature binding.  Can't wait to wrap it around Baby June!



How about you, any firsts for you this week? Let's link up to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times and see what all the creative quilters around the web are doing.

grab button for let's Make Baby Quilts! 
Linking to Michelle's Romantic Tangle blog Let's Make Baby Quilts Friday! 

Until next time,

19 comments:

  1. Your new grandbaby will love the quilt and you quilting is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin, I so much love making things for the new babies. I can hardly wait to hold her!

      Delete
  2. Good Afternoon Patrica, Oh how wonderful, there is another little one to add to the fold. The baby quilt is lovely, but I have never quilted using my sewing machine, I always quilt by hand. I think the reason for this is, I am not confident machine quilting and I would hate to ruin my quilt after doing so much work. I love your idea of signing the quilt around the binding, it is such a lovely idea.
    1st June will be here before you know it. You are looking forward to a new grandchild and I am looking forward to Natasha coming home from India on 2nd June.... it will be lovely to see her again.
    It is so lovely to catch up with you again.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful Daphne that Natasha is coming home. Is she coming for a visit or will she be home for good? I can't imagine having a child sooooo far away. My children live a distance 500 + miles but INDIA yikes! I will be gone for most of June so the blog will be pretty quiet. You know what I'll be doing - holding babies, the very best thing.
      I'm not at all confident about machine quilting and second guess myself constantly but I'll never improve by not doing it, right?

      Delete
  3. Yay! Another baby is coming! My daughter-in-law was the same way with her pregnancy last month, she was SO ready! Now our Cooper is here and he is perfect! Congratulations! The quilt is wonderful, looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julianne, we are so lucky to have brand babies to hold. I know you are enjoying yours!

      Delete
  4. The quilt is adorable, as is the picture of your little granddaughter! I love the fabrics and embroidery blocks! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie. Isn't our Paige a cutie pie? We are holding out some hope that her little sister will be a red head since she will be our last grand so fingers crossed. I only have one red headed grand child so far. I know you share my love for machine embroidery.

      Delete
  5. Big Sis is really growing! I am so sure she is going to be excited to see her new baby sister.

    Your baby quilt turned out nicely. I still love the embroidered blocks and you did a great job on the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Jeanna we have to work in that embroidery wherever we can . Paige is excited about a baby now, we'll see how she feels when she realizes that kid is not leaving! :)

      Delete
  6. Patricia,
    I am way behind in visiting. So first, may I say, how terribly sorry I am to hear of the devastating loss your family has suffered. I have see this lovely boys face everywhere. He has been in Insta Gram, and in the hearts of many. I had no idea he was related to you. I am so, so sorry.
    His family will be in my prayers!!!
    Your baby quilt is adorable. And baby June will love it forever!!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kris so much for your kind words about Ryan. He was a light in our family as all children are. His parents being 20 something are active on social media and their friends have been using that to express their support. His Memorial Mass is this Friday and we are not looking forward to that heart breaker event your prayers are appreciated.
      The baby quilt expresses joy in new life and that's what we'll focus on. Can't wait to hold our June Bug and then I'll know what her real name is!

      Delete
  7. very adorable quilt. the quilting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooo adorable! You should want to snuggle up in it!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really cute. I never thought about doing machine binding for durability on baby quilts - I'll have to think about that on the next one I make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to give myself permission to do this as it somehow seemed like cheating but now I think it really is the best way to finish a quilt I expect to get regular use. Thanks for leaving a comment I love a two way conversation.

      Delete
  10. What a precious quilt Patrica and love the embroidered little animals! I agree with you that machine binding will hold up longer! Thanks for sharing at Linky Tuesday! Freemotion by the River

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for Linky Tuesday Connie so much inspiration for all of us!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.