Friday, May 23, 2014

Doubtful



Self doubt. All but the most confident or foolish are subject to it and it can stop us in our tracks. It has prevented me from moving forward more times than I can say and is something I struggle to overcome. This happens a lot when I'm starting any kind of new project in the sewing room. Even if I'm familiar with a process I can second guess decisions until I'm totally stuck. Not a good place to be.

I don't like this tendency that I have and yet I'm constantly trying out new things. Jill of all trades and mistress of none. I don't have a quilting style because of this need to push my own boundaries always trying new things. If you take a look at my quilts page you'll get some idea of what I'm talking about. Colors and styles all over the map. I don't have a niche. I'm not a 30's reproduction girl, or a Civil War quilter, not modern or applique. Most everyone I know has a style they love and are comfortable with. They have become expert in their style and are confident in their skills.

More often than not I don't work from a pattern but just wing it taking my inspiration from all the great work I've seen. Sometimes I'll start with a pattern in mind but never stick to it faithfully. My projects hardly ever end up the way I first envision them when I started. Once I try a new technique and feel I've understood the process I might never revisit it, it's all about trying things out for me but it doesn't seem to be about mastery.

The only thing I'm pretty sure of is that I have diligently worked on improving my piecing skills. But as far as true creativity goes, I'm doubtful. What are your thoughts on the creative process? How do you approach a new project? Let's talk about self doubt and creativity.

Until next time,

6 comments:

  1. I call this style "eclectic" .....sometimes I will find myself under the same cloud of self doubt esp. when I spend too much time looking at all the wonderful work of so many. I need to remind myself this is my hobby, my outlet after a long work week. This is my play and way to make things for people I care about. Thanks for sharing as I felt a lot better knowing I'm in good company!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Val if I spend too much time comparing myself to others it kills my creativity for sure. That's the gift and the curse of the internet it can inspire and discourage at the same time. I also notice that if sad things are going on in my personal life as they have been the last couple of weeks I just feel bad generally and then I get down on all aspects of things. Snap the hell out of it I say!!!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Valerie - after working a long day, I enjoy the outlet that I find in my sewing room. I like picking out fabrics, deciding on patterns, layouts, sharing my creativity and viewing others' creativity on Instagram, the hum of the sewing machine, listening to music, etc. It's easy to feel discouraged. I used to feel like that after my first 2-3 quilt classes and now I just embrace my "perceived" imperfection or doubt because it's part of the process and I know it will pass. I don't have a "niche" either because I like making all kinds of different quilts. It's okay to be that way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your attitude! After spending a life time in the goal oriented work world it can be hard to transition to a more process driven way of doing things for some people (ME). I seem to go back and forth with this. When I'm in a zone and enjoying the process rather than looking for the product is when I'm most happy. Living in the moment has always been my challenge. Thanks for the perspective.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy looking at a quilt and then drafting it out. A lot of trial and error but it keeps my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the planning process too and I enjoy figuring out most aspects of quilting. If I didn't enjoy this hobby of ours I would be moving on to something else I guess. It's funny how we can tie ourselves up over perceived faults.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.