Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A Maze Zing!

I have two doggies who are voracious. They both act like they have never been fed before and might not ever eat again. At every meal! Twice a day, morning and evening, they go at that food like they have been locked up in a dungeon and starved. This is not good for them and I've tried all kinds of things to slow them down like putting big rocks in their dish to make them eat around the obstacle and even giving them small bits of their food at a time which takes WAY TOO LONG.
The Solution Is At Hand!
I recently saw these feeding bowls while trolling the internet and decided to give 'em a try. They slow the pups feeding frenzy down - a lot. It used to take less than a minute for Shadow and River to finish their food.
Here's Shadow with her new bowl. We've had this dog since she was 8 weeks old and she's NEVER missed a meal but she acts like a homeless stray when it comes to food. It can take her up to 8 minutes to finish her dinner with this dish where before she would be done in 1 minute or less, no lie. A huge improvement. She chases every last kibble around that maze. As you can see some bits escape but believe me, nothing gets by her in the end.
Here's River. She's a more dainty eater but no slouch in the speed eater category and this dish has slowed her down to 8 to 10 minutes. I'm so happy to have them both gulping less air and taking their time.

Now for the info. This is called: Kyjen Slo-Bowl Slow Feeder Interactive Bloat Stop Dog Bowl.
I got mine through Amazon and I've provided a link if you're interested. I'm not affiliated with nor do I receive compensation from this product. I'm just happy with it and thought some of you might have a similar problem with your pups. These are not cheap but they are sturdy and worth it if it keeps River and Shadow from making themselves sick.

Until next time,

16 comments:

  1. Thank you! I'm going to share this with our guide dog puppy group. Some dogs really can woof down the food! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would probably be a good idea to start the puppies off with these so that they would learn to eat slowly while they are young. I think River eats fast because Shadow eats so fast and she's a fraid Shadow will get her food otherwise she is a much more dainty eater.

      Delete
  2. Now that is a neat idea! Glad to know it's helping. I forwarded the link to my daughter who's dog thinks it's starving when it eats. Actually I'm thinking Bill and I could use these dishes to eat our dinner too! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie you are too funny. I thought about that for myself also but the fact is I'm the slowest eater I know and it still hasn't kept me slim! :-(

      Delete
  3. I've never seen anything like those bowl, how neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie has suggested people versions of these what do you think?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Funniest comment from Angie above: Angie has suggested people versions of these what do you think?

      Delete
  5. My sister's dog is like that, she doesn't chew, just Hoovers it in. I'll show this to her--very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually unhealthy for our dogs to eat that way that's why I was looking for a fix.

      Delete
  6. I like these bowels only my dogs would just flip them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing Michelle but so far it hasn't been that frustrating to them so they haven't done that.

      Delete
  7. Those are awesome!! You did just describe my dogs at meal times, both act like its their last meal, love those bowls off for a little look. Thanks. ps love your dogs, I have a very special place in my heart for shepherd dogs my first dog was a shepherd x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our River is our second shepherd and she is a love bug, such a baby she wants to be a lap dog with the family but very aloof with strangers. Just want you want when you live out in the country by yourself. She's very protective of me when I'm I'm here alone.

      Delete
  8. Wonder if they'd work on my kitty? She attacks her food as well and I have to remind her to chew all the time especially with treats.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I don't know. Is there any way to make a cat do what you want them to do? ;-)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.