Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Untangled

I have such a cool tip for you this morning I can hardly wait to show you. I've discovered a way to keep my threads from unraveling while in storage and it's so easy that I'm slapping my forehead that I haven't done this before.
I purchased a couple of rolls of this stuff at a quilt shop in San Diego (I'll tell you about that wonderful place in a minute) Hugo's Amazing Tape.  This is re-positionable self-sticking tape that you can use to hold all kinds of things together. Here's what I used it for and it worked like a charm!
There's no adhesive and it can be used over and over. Perfect for my spools of thread. This is the 1 inch size on my big spool. It also comes in a 1/2 inch size which works well for the smaller spools. I also tried it out on my rolls of stabilizer and that worked well too.
 Just look at this tidy thread drawer with no unraveled, tangled thread. Let me say up front that this is not cheap but it really works and the one roll I got has gone a long way.

Now on to the San Diego quilt store. My kids are so smart! My youngest son and his lovely wife had the great good sense to buy a home within walking distance of a fabulous quilt store, Rosie's Calico Cupboard Quilt Shop . This place is amazing and a lot overwhelming with literally thousands of bolts of fabric with fantastic prices. Whenever I'm visiting the kids I always go to Rosie's and I always come home with fabric so you know I have a little something to show you.
I picked up these super cute flannels to replenish the stash since I've been on a baby quilt binge.
Some background fabrics, a girl can never have too many of those, and the bottom two, I have no idea what I'll use them for but they were in the sale area for $4/yd so two yards each came home with me just because.

Sadly, I must leave you for a dentist appointment. The morning before my trip I broke one of my front teeth on a piece of toast and today is the day for my ROOT CANAL! Yikes! Say a little prayer for me will you? Like most of us I hate the dentist.

Until next time,

14 comments:

  1. After just recently battling a tangled-thread mess, that tape sounds perfect! I'll have to check out that fabric shop sometime when I'm in San Diego again.

    Good luck with the root canal! (A piece of toast?! I had no idea toast was so dangerous!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That toast is going to cost me big time! A front tooth means a porcelain cap and that means $$$. Do check out Rosie's the prices are amazing.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tip !!! I will be picking some up the next time I am in San Diego. I do a lot of needle work, this will be a life saver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty sure you can get this stuff at Joann's or a quilt shop, I know you can order it from Amazon so you don't have to go to San Diego to get it. But do go to Rosie's you'll love it.

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous remedy for such an annoying issue! I'm so glad you found this adhesive free tape Patricia! I love all your fabric pieces. Any idea what you are going to make with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Donna you know most of the time I have a vague I idea about how I'll use something when I buy it and I usually end up using it in a completely different way. Some of my fabric has been marinating for years waiting for a turn in a project. I just know I'll find the right spot for it eventually :)

      Delete
  4. UGHHHH The dentist...hope it went as well as it can. :) Love those flannels!!! And perfect neutrals....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dentist was as you would expect and I have to go back for the final porcelain crown $$$ in another week. I guess that will teach me to eat!

      Delete
  5. Those stash are so colourful and beautiful and thansk for the tip too.

    Last time I visited the dentist for dental scaling, the poor lady nearly walked me out, out of frustration. I hate dental visits.

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you poor thing. My dental woes are not quite so bad but no one like the dentist I suppose.

      Delete
  6. That tape sounds wonderful! I've heard of Rosie's but have never been there. I should do that the next time we need to have a get-away and chill out. Good luck with the dentist -- agree, HATE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol I'm sure you'll find something to catch your interest at Rosie's just don't say i didn't warn you. You want to leave your credit card at home!

      Delete
  7. Ouch! I'm so sorry to hear about your tooth. I've had a root canal and a crown -- both were awful.
    It WAS brilliant for your kids to get a house so close to that fabric store for you :) Beautiful choices. I really, really NEED some of that tape. My challenge is tons of yarn unwinding and tangling up. Might help that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure this would work on yarn once it's in a ball but come to think of it a skein could be bound up with this too.I found some on Amazon for about the same price, it's not cheap but it can be reused. Thanks for the nice thought about the tooth think I'm waiting for the permanant crown to be made out of shiny porcelain because it's a front tooth I really don't want to look like a pirate!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.