Friday, April 18, 2014

Overabundance!


What's going on here? Am I making some kind of crazy health food smoothy with the whole egg, shells and all? Not eggxactly, (see what I did there, now you know it's a post about eggs) although I hope this concoction will turn out to be healthy it's going to be for the birds not for me or for my health nut husband. We have an overabundance of eggs right now with all 15 hens in our flock laying like their little lives depended on it. That's a good thing right? Well, yes and no. Yes, because we have plenty of fresh eggs to go around and no because we have more eggs than we can use. 
Here's my solution for using those extra eggs. Scrambled eggs, shells and all for the girls. Mix them up in the blender and cook them up, protein and calcium in one go round. Before you get all upset about what a waste this is let me tell you that I have tried to find ways to share these eggs with NO success. As you may remember I do sell my eggs to a very small group of customers for a very small price (half of what organic, free range eggs sell for in the market) and I do give eggs to my son's family down the road. That still leaves a surplus. I offered the eggs to the local food bank but they could not take them because of Dept. of Health restrictions. So I looked into getting a county certification as a certified egg handler. The county required that I register as an egg producer of over 50 doz/wk, attend food handling classes and have a food safe kitchen, agree to be inspected by county officials and pay a tax on said non-existent 50dz/wk. Say what?! No thanks. I'm doing just fine as is with my VERY small barter/trade system thank you.
Here the ladies are enjoying their treat. I don't do this more than once a week because that would be just too much protein for them and would upset the diet balance. Hard to get a good picture because they were really going after these goodies. I threw in some shriveled apples as well as you can see. 
It's also the time of year when the mint, sage, oregano and rosemary are threatening to take over the flower beds so I trim away and take all those snippets to the hens as well. Some of these go into the coop and nest boxes. Herbs discourage bugs and other crawly pests in the hen house and keep it smelling sweet until clean out day. The rest I just toss into the yard for the girls to cluck over.
A mad stampede ensues! They love mint, lemon balm, oregano, grass, rosemary, rose petals but not cuttings from the chives or garlic. My girls are picky that way. The yolks from these ladies are impossibly orange!
A portrait of Cinnamon, a nine month old Rhode Island Red hen hatched here on Dogwood Lane. She did not want to hold still for her picture, actually none of them did. I have to figure out the action setting on my camera if I want to get a good pic of these babes.

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Love to read your chicken reports, and you have the most beautiful healthy looking hens I've seen. Their coloring and feathers just glow! I would love to buy eggs, wishing you lived up the road----

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to share with Angie. I try to keep the girls healthy and happy - so far so good and they keep me good company around the place.

      Delete
  2. Pat Pat Pat! How much are your eggs? I would love some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julianne I fear the logistics of our egg exchange would be a nightmare otherwise I'd love to get some to you believe me.

      Delete
  3. We buy our eggs from a cart at the side of the road.There is an honesty box and they charge £1 for 6 eggs.You can see the hens running about in the field over the hedge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had this arrangement for a while on my little road as well but found that not that many people bought them. I don't live on a main road only 5 houses on our road and 2 of them are our family. I guess the other 3 families don't eat eggs?!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you stayed at the hobby level of your egg selling....all those hoops you would have had to go through would have taken the fun out of it!! I would totally buy your eggs if I lived near you:) I enjoyed your post! ANd Happy Easter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought Val after all this is supposed to be fun and it is.

      Delete
  5. I think it's great that you're always thinking of their health and using the extra eggs in a good way. I'm so surprised that you can't find folks to buy your gorgeous eggs -- in our area, farm eggs sell so quickly, even though they're twice the price as the insipid grocery store eggs. But sellers have to find some sort of market to reach customers, and that's time-consuming. I hope you find more customers. I love the idea of putting the herbs in the coop! That's a great idea -- I'll share this post with all my chicken-raising friends, if you don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. have you tried freezing some eggs for baking? google it online. they are then stored as frozen eggs, each egg represented as one ice cube size in a zippy bag. when ready to use, thaw and use to bake. my dad gets an overabundance of them too. he has like 9 or so hens so gets 9 a day.
    good thing he has 5 children and their families to help gobble them up! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.