Monday, April 28, 2014

Keeping It Real

I'm right at my least favorite part of the quilt making process - the actual quilting. I'm just not good at it and no matter how many times I do it I just don't seem to get any better. I struggle, I tug, I go fast, I slow down. I watch free motion videos and read Harriet Hartman's instructions. I make smaller sandwiches and practice before hand all to no avail. My stipple is lumpy and ham handed.
 I'm just being honest here in the interest of keeping it real. I persevere because #1 I'm not made of money and can't afford to send every quilt I make to the longarm quilter, #2 this quilt is for my grand baby and I want to be able to say I made it 100% myself for my little one and #3 I just want to be able to conquer this skill darn it!

 My straight line quilting isn't so bad, at least I can sew a reasonably straight line!  I'm pretty sure the baby won't care and I'm also pretty sure that once it's laundered the stitches will sink in and not look too bad so I'll keep on and try my best not to be my own worst critic.

Linking up to Design Wall Monday hoping to be inspired.

Until next time,

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. I think we all have one part of the quilting process we love and one part we UGH over. I love hand sewing my binding. It's like I get to enjoy the quilt one last time before gifting it forward. And my UGH is making the backing! Serious...I can't stand it!! LOL!!! I could never quilt my quilt on a regular machine. It was just too frustrating and most importantly, I didn't enjoy it. And, I too didn't like sending it out to a long arm quilter, mostly as I just didn't like paying to have what I felt like, was someone else finishing my quilt. (For some reason that really bothered me...LOL) I'm a hobby quilter though...so my quilts are made for family, friends and charity. With that said, I am totally understanding and empathetic to keeping it real. I LOVE quilting for what it has brought into my life. I am always inspired by "professional" quilters, but like my little spot in the quilter world. Yours is perfect and will be well loved for a very long time!! YAH!!!
    '

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the perfect solution - I'll make your backs and you can do my quilting! As I see it it;s a win/win. Seriously I'm determined to master this lst skill on my way quilters heaven and then I can rest easy knowing I have truly done my best.

      Delete
  2. The quilting is the hardest part! Why do you think there are so many unfinished tops in the world ?:). My quilting isn't perfect but like you, I want to do 100% of the work on quilts I make for others. The ones I'm keeping can be quilted by another professional !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your a better woman then me. I don't even try doing my own quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In truth I only try this on small projects, baby quilts or lap quilts are about as big as I will tackle. I won't get any better if I don't try right?

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.