Friday, April 11, 2014

April Photo Challenge - Macro Shots

I love this challenge! I've been playing around with macro shots for a long time and love the challenge of trying to capture the up close and personal. I've always been drawn to tiny details and I have several paintings in my home which feature those kinds of details rather than the big picture. Of course, most of my macro shots are of flowers! It was hard to choose just three I have sooooo many. Perfect subjects for close up details right? And they can't object that you're taking too long to set up!


DogwoodLaneRambles.blogspot.com

I was so happy with this picture when I took it over four years ago! It's been my computer wallpaper for quite a while. I used my Cyber Shot camera on the macro setting and that's it. What a great little camera, I was sad when it died I can tell you. No enhancement on this at all. I love the shadow of the bee's wing on the flower.


DogwoodLaneRambles.blogspot.com


Another flower picture for you. We have dogwoods in bloom right now here on Dogwood Lane so this is a treat after a cold winter. I was standing in the rain to take this picture and hoping that the wind would die down for just a minute! I bumped up the exposure a tiny bit and sharpened it a little using PicMonkey. The heart of the dogwood blossom, a cluster of flowers within a flower.

DogwoodLaneRambles.blogspot.com


I'm a quilter so I'm obsessed with stitching and I'm passing along my obsession to you. I don't think you can fully appreciate why I took this picture unless you see the entire work so I must break the three photo rule and include photo number four of the complete stitched piece. This will be your fiber eye candy for the day.

DogwoodLaneRambles.blogspot.com
Circle the Date by Libby Lehman
I was fortunate enough to take a quilting class with Libby Lehman in 2010 and found her to be a fun and gracious teacher. Since that time she has suffered a catastrophic stroke and is working hard on her recovery. I wish her nothing but the best as she is a wonderful fiber artist and generous person.

Can't wait to see what others are using for their close up/macro challenge shots this month. Be sure to click on the button in my side bar and check out all the other photographers who I assure you are far more talented than I. I'm learning so much by studying their work.

A Personal Photo Challenge

Until next time,

39 comments:

  1. An excellent shot of the echinacea with the bee on it. The dogwood flower has a special treat of the tiny flowers in the middle when blown up, I'll have to look more closely at mine this spring.
    The quilt of circles is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The echinacea is my personal favorite because it was a happy accident.

      Delete
  2. Hi Patricia! Your photos are amazing...dogwoods are one of my faves and the quilt pattern is so lovely. I almost used dogwood shots in my post...I just had too many to choose from because like you, I do A LOT of macro shots of flowers too. I use a Sony Cybershot as well...my second one a better model than my first. Can't beat it for a p&s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I want to replace my dead Cybershot as my new camera is too bulky for carrying around on a daily basis and because that little camera takes amazing pictures.

      Delete
  3. Oh my! The dogwood is stunning! I love making up little stories so this is a bridal gown and a bridal bouquet. What fun to have a bouquet of flowers within the petals of a flower. I enjoyed seeing your quiltwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Vee, such a nice story to match the picture.

      Delete
  4. I love macro shots, too!! Great pictures, Patrica!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi, I'm enjoying these challenges so much. You should jump in with your wonderful photography I'd love to see what you would make of some of these prompts.

      Delete
  5. Very beautiful! I love seeing a flower that fills the photo it's so close! And the quilts are amazing, too! Very nice for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the effect of a flower filling the frame too it looks painterly to me, very Georgia O'Keeffe!

      Delete
  6. Patrica
    Your first shot with the bee has incredible detail, I feel I can almost reach out and touch him.
    Those gossamer wings are so delicate.
    I really love your dogwood, those tiny little flower heads in the centre - you must have been happy when you saw this shot on your big computer screen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you notice the super tiny ant next to the bee? I didn't see him at all until I got the shot up on the screen. All the detail revealed in everyone's macro shots is truly wonderful.

      Delete
  7. Very nice Patricia. I'm joining the fun this month. Love the water droplets on that flower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're joining in and think you will be hooked as soon as you visit all the sites and see all the wonderful photos folks are producing. So much to learn...

      Delete
  8. Your macro shots are stunning! So sorry to hear of the quilt artist you took a class from that had a stroke. Hope she recovers fully!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libby Lehman has finally been able to come home from the rehab facility but is still wheelchair bound and still relearning to speak. It can be a long road to recovery from such an event. On the bright side Libby has an amazing body of work for all of us to enjoy.

      Delete
  9. These are quite stunning from beginning to end! I adore classic shots like the first one, and you sure did capture some nice detail in it. My heart is going pitter patter over the second one. Great composition and digital editing. It looks like a shot that I would take, except that I would be a lazybones by clipping the branch and doing the photo shoot inside, LOL. Exquisite center detail! And the fabric macro is colorful and fun. I'm so glad that you included the overall shot too. I never intend to curb any enthusiasm, haha! You hit a home run with this challenge. And with all of your fabric and quilting work, I bet you are itching for the next challenge theme - colorful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. I am emboldened to do better and to improve by your example. Thanks for hosting and challenging all of us.

      Delete
  10. Love your macro flower shots but my heart went pittypat to see Libby's quilt. I too have taken a class with dear Libby. She is indeed a wonderful teacher, I'm sure the entire quilting world is praying for her complete recovery.
    Your dogwood shot is awesome as is the bee visiting the echinacea. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Linda and sharing your love of quilting too. I think you do more than 'dabble' in photography as your shots are wonderful.

      Delete
  11. SO glad you broke the rules to show us Libby's quilt....very inspired am I! And your photos are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's me Val - a rule breaker! No really, I have always been a good little girl but as I get older, *gasp* I figure I can have some leeway. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  12. These are Wonderful! Especially love the dogwood shot...gorgeous!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the dogwoods always make me smile I think they are so romantic somehow. Thanks for coming by Dogwood Lane.

      Delete
  13. That Dogwood blossom is phenomenal- very nice light in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela, not bad for a shot taken in a rain shower I think. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  14. Fabulous photos, Patricia! I am thinking that I could learn a lot from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. To answer your question...the "focal soften" effect is one of the FREE features on PicMonkey! Yay! It is found in the "Effects" if you scroll w-a-y down to the bottom. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the compliments and thanks for the PicMonkey info, I'm heading over there right now to check it out.

      Delete
  15. I thought I left a message here but I don't see it...
    I am so impressed with your beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BJ. Aren't these photo challenges interesting and fun? Next month the challenge is COLOR, now I know we all can do something wonderful with that one!

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. You are very kind I so enjoy trying to figure out what teh challenge is really about and agonize about which shots to include.

      Delete
  17. Stunning photos! I especially love the beautiful dogwood. The water droplets are a perfect addition which makes the picture all the more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that makes standing in the rain to get the shot worth while!

      Delete
  18. Fantastic macros and your quilt is a definite art for the wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Marilyn I only wish that were my quilt! It is the work of Quilter's Hall of Fame artist Libby Lehman and innovator with thread and color and a super person too.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.