Monday, March 24, 2014

Whooooo's In the Sewing Room?

I'm happy to report that would be me! I gladly took myself upstairs on Saturday to work on arranging and sewing together my embroidered baby animals in pajamas blocks. When last you all saw them they looked like this...



My original idea was to sew them together with a sashing of 1 1/2 inch solid squares but the more I worked on that the more blah the whole thing felt. Those little squares were just so distracting and busy. Not at all what I wanted. Out came the seam ripper and with some re-imagining on the design wall this is what I came up. Now this owly little darling is a flimsy!


Much cleaner and more contemporary looking I think. Now days nurseries tend to be a lot less cutsy so I think my DIL will appreciate this design better as it tones down the babyishness (I know that's not a word but it's what I want to say) of the whole thing. I have no trouble arranging them asymmetrically but I know some people just can't do it. Where do you stand, can you put those blocks off center or not?



This green polka dot is from my stash and will be perfect for the binding! Shop your stash there's great stuff in there waiting to be rediscovered. I have a wonderful soft white minky for the backing or maybe a fleece. The girls at Needle Nellies at our Wednesday meeting will help me decide.

That's it for Design Wall Monday. What have you been up to?
Linking to Michelle's Romantic Tangle, Let's Make Baby Quilts Challenge

Until next time,

11 comments:

  1. Adorable! I love how you placed the blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie, there was a lot of block shuffling going on before I decided on a final placement. Your sewing room is looking great!

      Delete
  2. Outstanding! I love your block placement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, I'm glad to be ready for the quilting on this one after all the baby is due in June so I have to get crackin'

      Delete
  3. Perfect! I have no problem with off-center and I love the layout of this quilt. I'm sure your DIL will too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope so I know the owls will be a hit cuz she really does love those and they're all the rage right now. Don't you think that fabric is super cute, what's not to love? :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle, it's all basted and ready to quilt now.

      Delete
  5. Good idea to make it fresh and new! I wouldn't have thought of the asymmetric setting but it works! Really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I have to keep it up on the wall for a few days to percolate and then I'm ready to shuffle it around and sew it together. I just knew those tiny squares weren't working for me. Thanks for being a reader and for leaving such nice comments Annie.

      Delete
  6. "Babyish" is a real word with a dictionary definition and everything -- so "babyishness" works for me. I have a hard time doing asymmetical layouts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.