Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Sour Mash Is For The Birds

Not the drinkable kind, THAT I like. In fact I'm the only girl I know who likes her whiskey neat -  but I digress. I got off track here pretty quickly...



This is what you get when someone who shall remain nameless (whose name starts with Chris) leaves an entire half gallon of milk out on the counter over night. Accidents happen but I certainly don't want a entire half gallon of dairy to go to waste especially when I have a flock of hungry hens to feed. Oatmeal to the rescue! Enough oats to make a mash plus some outdated buttermilk I had as well. Whenever the girls see me coming with a bowl or the pan I keep on the kitchen counter for kitchen scraps, which I collect each day just for them, they rush up to greet me squawking and jockeying for position to be front of the line. I'm a chicken mama queen I tell ya.


 See Sugar right there eying me? She loves her treat as much as the next girl but she also loves to be petted and wants to know when I'm gonna give her some attention. "Sorry Sugar, I'm not picking you up today. Have you seen the state of your feet?"

The yard is a muddy mess because of the rain (glorious, blessed rain) we've had. This mash will be so good for the ladies. Evidently some folks are hesitant to share scraps and leftovers with their flock but I've never had a problem with doing this. Everything I know about chickens I learned from my Aunt Sissy. I spent summers with her and Uncle Bud on their dairy farm in Madera, CA. It was my little girl job to feed the chickens and collect eggs daily. She always told me that if we could eat it so could the ladies and with a few exceptions this has proven to be the case. Of course, now I have the internet to refine my knowledge but I mostly stick with what I leaned from my experienced Aunty.


Just like little kids these two get to lick the bowl when I'm done.
Chris and I spent the entire day yesterday off the hill taking care of financial matters. Then we treated ourselves to a late lunch/early dinner (just like old people). The meal turned out to be mediocre and then I made myself car sick on the ride home by looking at my phone while riding on the winding road home. Ugh, so glad to get back home and spend time with my critters. I'm off again to see the tax man today so I'm going to treat myself with some retail therapy once that chore is done I think. What do you do to reward yourself for doing an odious job?

circa 2011 The ORIGINAL Farmgirl Friday Blog Hophttp://deborahjeansdandelionhouse.blogspot.com/2014/03/farmgirl-friday-blog-hop-148-and.html

Until next time,

8 comments:

  1. What a perfect way to use up spoiled milk and the girls seem to love it! Enjoy your rain, I know you needed it, we have snow again today.....ugh! Retail therapy is definitely the way to treat yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really feel for you and all the cold I know how it can get you down. Hope you're staying warm and I KNOW you're staying busy.

      Delete
  2. My Nonna always fed the chickens anything and everything from the kitchen. Your ladies look happy! It's raining here this evening in Sonoma county, so I'm assuming it's raining where you are too. New hoop earrings as a treat is my retail therapy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glorious rain! It fell in buckets and the hen yard is knee deep in mud which means the eggs are muddy but I don't care. I did do a little shopping after the tax appointment and bought myself a Woolrich jacket for $20 - score.

      Delete
  3. My family always collected leftovers for the critters (chickens included) and the critters LOVED it. Happy chickens yield LOTS of eggs. Unfortunately, I no longer live in a community where I can enjoy all the wonderful fresh eggs and such.

    Sorry to hear you encountered a bit of car sickness and hope you are feeling much better...gotta have your strength and wits about you for that retail therapy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The car sickness was my own fault - I cannot look at my phone while riding in the car on mountain roads geesh! I did do a little shopping after the tax appointment and bought myself a Woolrich jacket for $20 - score.

      Delete
  4. The ladies are lovely and lucky to have such a wonderful treat, although the product of an oopsie. At least it did not go to waste. I would love to have chickens one day but I have no Aunt Sissy to learn from. :( It will be from books and online if I ever do and that makes me a wee bit nervous. I don't want to make mistakes with dear sweet feathered lives. We'll see, I may just meet someone between now and way off then. SOrry you got car sick and having to deal with all the financial stuff. We're doing that this weekend. Weee! No, not wee. Thhhpppttt! But it's got to be done. Blessings to you and yours, Bird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was only very little when I visited teh farm but it really stuck with me most of what I know I've learned from the internet and library books. What did we do before the internet? I hope your dream can someday be a reality. If it can happen for me it can happen for you too! That financial stuff is such a pain in the patootee but now it's over for another year and it does pay to keep good records makes it much less painful.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.